Gate survey

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Davidlansdell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 17 10:02

Gate survey

Could I ask about this please .. 6 weeks in the job and first time to do this task .. is it just measuring the gap at the hinges to the gate .. and being sure it’s not less than 10-12mm ?

Cheers
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 17 11:36

Re: Gate survey

When you say gate survey, is this an automated gate with say buzzer of fob entry or just a standard wooden/metal push pull gate ?
Who or what is asking for the measurement?
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 17 14:44

Davidlansdell wrote: 17th Apr 2023 at 10:02am Could I ask about this please .. 6 weeks in the job and first time to do this task .. is it just measuring the gap at the hinges to the gate .. and being sure it’s not less than 10-12mm ?

Cheers
your query is a bit vague for a fair response,

Who is asking you to do this and for what purpose?
Are you asking if there is a legal size gap measurement?
what kind of gate is this and what does it control?
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 17 18:09

The fact that you are asking shows you don't have the required training. Get the pro's in and make a cuppa
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 00:09

pete wrote: 17th Apr 2023 at 6:09pm The fact that you are asking shows you don't have the required training. Get the pro's in and make a cuppa
This is a very odd response? I would presume from your reply you know exactly what the question is being asked, but are not open to advice on the matter…..??

Gazza and I are as you can read from our reply’s are asking additional information. Of all the many, many training courses I have been on over the years nothing around gate hing gap sizing has ever come up, perhaps you could enlighten us on what trading is needed?
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 00:14

Davidlansdell wrote: 17th Apr 2023 at 10:02am Could I ask about this please .. 6 weeks in the job and first time to do this task .. is it just measuring the gap at the hinges to the gate .. and being sure it’s not less than 10-12mm ?

Cheers
I’m presuming you mean around the possibility of trapping fingers maybe?
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 07:38

Sparky wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 12:09am This is a very odd response? I would presume from your reply you know exactly what the question is being asked, but are not open to advice on the matter…..??

Gazza and I are as you can read from our reply’s are asking additional information. Of all the many, many training courses I have been on over the years nothing around gate hing gap sizing has ever come up, perhaps you could enlighten us on what trading is needed?
He needs a gate survey to ensure they're safe and doing the job they're supposed to do. For example, finger gaps around edges, gap between gate and ground, no deterioration around hinges etc. This is a job for a professional, not a caretaker who's been in the job for 6 weeks with no training, hence - get the pros in to survey your gates. Clear enough????
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 09:17

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 7:38am He needs a gate survey to ensure they're safe and doing the job they're supposed to do. For example, finger gaps around edges, gap between gate and ground, no deterioration around hinges etc. This is a job for a professional, not a caretaker who's been in the job for 6 weeks with no training, hence - get the pros in to survey your gates. Clear enough????
without wanting to cause an argument, you presume way to much.

Firstly where does he state he requires a survey? i read this to mean 1 gate.

Secondly whose to say he is only a caretaker? If hes is a Site/premises/facility/estates Manager or maintenance manager then perhaps its fairly assumed by his bosses that he has the required knowledge and skill set to carry out what i would argue is a reletavely stright forward task.

This does not require an external contractor which comes with added costs- just some help and guidance from us (after all that is what this group is for right?)

but in order to help and guide him better we are simply asking for a bit more information.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 09:32

pete wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 7:38am He needs a gate survey to ensure they're safe and doing the job they're supposed to do. For example, finger gaps around edges, gap between gate and ground, no deterioration around hinges etc. This is a job for a professional, not a caretaker who's been in the job for 6 weeks with no training, hence - get the pros in to survey your gates. Clear enough????
Do you have an example of a report you use?
pete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 09:43

Nail wrote: 18th Apr 2023 at 9:32am Do you have an example of a report you use?
I didn't do it bud, Gate company did it for us and all reports went to our facilities manager. We did need a few mods though, finger guards were attached and some ground removed from field so they could open properly.