Project for fence off cuts

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 10:51

Project for fence off cuts

We have just had a new wooden fence put in and I asked to keep the off cuts from the slats for projects/fundraising. I have circa 600 of 400-500mm length of treated slats to work with.
I'm after simple ideas for primary age to use these to possibly make money for the school?. We don't want to invest too much money "adding" to the items, but I am happy to do some pre work like drilling holes, and the contractor has also offered some support with this as well.
Long and the short, can you suggest topical suggestions, like eco ones as my "sharpen them to stakes to kill the vampires" is unlikely to be taken forward [Scared.png] [Scared.png] [Big grin.png]
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 11:00

Re: Project for fence off cuts

My first thoughts were nesting boxes? Or maybe planters that could be hung on a wall? I am assuming they are flat slats and not all like a Dracula stake? Is the wood thick enough for either of my suggestions? I am sure the more creative people on here will come up with something! [Success.png]
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2023 18 11:48

Same here Rockstar, bird boxers.
Is it that TIME already
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 11:56

bird and bat boxes would be my suggestion also hedgehog houses
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2023 18 14:12

A few years ago I cut a few picnic benches up and with the usable offcuts made plant pots.
The children and I put soil in and planted some bulbs. As the daffodils ( other bulbs/seeds are available) flourished we sold them in the playground and via our school website. A bit late for this year but Mother’s Day and Easter would be great occasions for selling potted plants/flowers. Maybe something seasonal for the 25/12/2023 ?

The children enjoyed using different skill sets. Design, carpentry, gardening, marketing and sales.
With exception to time there were very little costs.

Also there are some decent ideas on Pinterest.

Good luck [Like.png] .
wake me up before you gogo.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 14:51

They are 70 x 20 x 400mm, thus making boxes would be a mammoth task. I'm more looking at only drilling into them. I have one suggestion of a thermometer- but need to purchase them adding cost. We've thought about names on them for door signs. I could build simple small boxes then make bug hotels etc. Trying to think outside the box (no pun intended).
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 18 16:21

Bug hotels?
stack about ten together with some small strips (or old pencils) in between to give 10mm gaps that can be stuffed with moss etc.

Bird boxes are a good seller at school markets for fund raising and if the contractor will help to cut the pieces the rest is easy.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2023 19 02:25

Hey bro. I did a quick search and came up with this.
A lot ofthese look good for the kids to assemble and sell for the PTA. Let me know if you want more.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 19 09:12

I'd keep them somewhere dry until the summer holidays and then use them as a base for a lovely big bonfire to burn all the other stuff you hadn't got around to getting rid of.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2023 19 09:29

TheTusk wrote: 19th Apr 2023 at 9:12am I'd keep them somewhere dry until the summer holidays and then use them as a base for a lovely big bonfire to burn all the other stuff you hadn't got around to getting rid of.
Treated timber... [Neutral.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]