Run down

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2023 23 07:42

Re: Run down

thecaretaker wrote: 22nd May 2023 at 6:27pm Thanks for all your best wishes.

I'm still suffering badly from what seems to be the worst cold I've ever had. I got in contact with my GP today and have been put on 100mg Doxycycline (antibiotic) for a week. Hopefully it will help me to win the battle with this dreaded cold once and for all.
It sounds nasty CT, Please look after yourself.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2023 23 09:55

It seems if what is posted on the internet can be believed, it is something old retired chaps and chapesses like me can expect. Staying at home, self isolating for the past 2 years due to the pandemic hasn't done us any good. We haven't been in contact with 'normal' people. We haven't had to fight off even the mildest cold. Apparently, we catch these common bugs all the time and don't even realise we are fighting them off sometimes. You might just experience an OFF day.

Many of you who have been in contact with children during the pandemic may also be OK. If you regularly do the weeks shopping and come into close contact with other people (mask wearing or not), you will probably be alright.

It's old duffers like me who listened to all the guidance from the government to stay at home, avoided (and still do) close contact with other people who now have absolutely no build up (immunity) to fight off these common bugs. Hence, they become the worst cold you have ever experienced in your life. [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2023 04 08:49

A final note, it seems what I had was COVID and not a bad cold. The Omicron variant doesn't show up on the tests I took (I didn't know that). 8-9 weeks on, I still can't drink coffee. It smells and tastes fowl. I then got Nora virus which knocked me for six. Being a diabetic, my blood sugars plummeted and I was quite ill. To top it all, I then got a urine infection. But fingers crossed, I'm over the worst and on the mend. I still suffer from Fatigue like climbing the stairs. But every day it does get easier. It's been the worse period in my life. Things can only get better! [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 09:03

On each of the three occasions I have had covid, the coffee thing has been the thing that sets it apart from a common cold (but I know we are all different).

It's good to see that you are on the mend with a positive mindset. [Thumb_up.png]
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Jul 2023 04 12:40

During Lockdown, after a couple of months my Mrs said `Come with me to the end of` (a long street that runs along the bottom of four streets, I live at the bottom of the first of the four) I was only half way to the next street and I could not go any further, my legs and feet were in absolute agony, and I really struggled to get back to the house, always feel `unwell these days, cough, sneezing, eyes sore, like hay fever but constant throughout the year.

Oh, and absolutely no energy or motivation at all
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 14:53

Funny that CT, I had a thing around the beginning of the new year and although I tested nothing showed but I have definitely had less energy since then and sometimes get super tired after doing a full hard days graft.
I don't drink coffee so no idea if it tastes weird..

It must have been the corona..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 17:18

I have been lucky with Covid, had it twice and nothing but a sniffly nose both times. Stayed in though so as not to spread it about. Glad you are feeling a bit better CT, let's hope that it continues quickly
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 17:23

We were talking about this today, It does seem like that time of year, with exams and all the end of year event stacked end to end.
Both the Asst SM and myself are just walking around like zombies most of the time. [Scared.png]
adyjay
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 06 08:27

I have had Covid three times, all caught from my workplace, still alive though, but looking in the mirror each day now, I am starting to resemble a member of the walking dead cast, and it's not the living ones!

This type of job sadly wears you out quickly, early mornings, late finishes, but no one notices how you are, until things are not done, and they question you why, then then start to look at you as if to say you need to work harder, although you are already on the verge of total burn out.

Is it any wonder the turn around of Caretakers ETC, and trying to employ one is extremely hard, mainly as the perception is we just open and lock up, but at interview you tell them what the job requires, they suddenly are not interested.

We are the unsung hero's of the school, without us schools would not run.

Hats off to all of you!
I often wonder why its easier to complain than praise?
Understanding and co-operation is sadly lacking in schools towards support staff.
When we are wanted, they are all nice, when we ask for something they moan!
Men live their lives in quiet desperation when it comes to the opposite gender!
Don't trust anyone, they will only hurt you!
It's a sad situation really :(
seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 06 08:39

adyjay wrote: 6th Jul 2023 at 8:27am I have had Covid three times, all caught from my workplace, still alive though, but looking in the mirror each day now, I am starting to resemble a member of the walking dead cast, and it's not the living ones!

This type of job sadly wears you out quickly, early mornings, late finishes, but no one notices how you are, until things are not done, and they question you why, then then start to look at you as if to say you need to work harder, although you are already on the verge of total burn out.

Is it any wonder the turn around of Caretakers ETC, and trying to employ one is extremely hard, mainly as the perception is we just open and lock up, but at interview you tell them what the job requires, they suddenly are not interested.

We are the unsung hero's of the school, without us schools would not run.

Hats off to all of you!
Thanks for that, yes it is true without us schools wouldnt operate. I was told by the HM that I should be thankful I hve a job here.(just lost my mum-83 and still had to open up as "you cant expect anyone else to come in early).