What's new retired members?

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jun 2023 29 17:07

What's new retired members?

Just wondering what retired members do with themselves now they no longer work in the schools. Is there anything that you didn't do before retirement that you have found you do a lot of now?
For me it is reading, mainly Crime fiction books. I was never a great reader before retiring but have found that i like nothing better than taking a book out to a coffee shop and reading for an hour or so. I usually get through 2 books a week, sometimes 3 but thoroughly enjoy relaxing with a good book. My wife still works part time and i do a lot of washing and ironing, housework etc but as i say a good book has become an essential in my life. What do the rest of you retired guys get your pleasure from
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jun 2023 29 18:35

Re: What's new retired members?

Gardening is a passion that I have developed since retirement. On hot afternoons I like to sit in the garden with a cold beer & recall that at this time of the day I used to be cleaning infants` toilets.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jun 2023 29 18:57

I got another job. 😂🤣😂
But it’s only a 4 day week so it’s great.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2023 30 09:47

Enjoying retirement to the fullest, after all who was that mentioned four score years and ten (90)? Somehow, I think 90 is very doubtful but I live in hope [Scared.png]

I’m currently on an extended spring clean, being a caretaker, I’ve collected a lot of stuff (mostly junk) that I’ve hoarded over the years thinking that’ll come in useful one day. I also have far too many hobbies, so I’m forced into having a complete rethink. Drop this one or maybe incorporate it with another?
I quickly get bored so need to occupy my mind as well as my time, clutter clear and buying bin bags is the latest hobby btw [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 01 05:26

Just trying to adust. Being active for so long 90mph to 20mph is a big and new thing.
Been working on my "man cave" and enjoying time with "she who must be obeyed" mrs. trout, been having a good time.
Started selling baseball cards from my collection (I have over 8,000) and got $2,000 for a 1955 card .
It's been good but still missing the action.
Took some time to see my dad in the states and another week in Tenby for fishing.
I'm still trying to find time for all the things needed to be done but, hey, I'm a rookie at this.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 01 05:38

Keyolder wrote: 30th Jun 2023 at 9:47am Enjoying retirement to the fullest, after all who was that mentioned four score years and ten (90)?
Sorry brother but it was "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. " I memorized that many years ago in school.
A great short speech from Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg Pa. just after the civil war. I lived for a short while near there and been there many times, very moving to me/us.
No offence for correcting bro. I hope. [Blush.png] [Confused.png]

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2023 01 09:17

trout39843 wrote: 1st Jul 2023 at 5:38am Sorry brother but it was "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. " I memorized that many years ago in school.
A great short speech from Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg Pa. just after the civil war. I lived for a short while near there and been there many times, very moving to me/us.
No offence for correcting bro. I hope. [Blush.png] [Confused.png]
Funny you should mention that. I watched Michael Portillo's "Great American Railway Journeys" yesterday and he commented about the very carefully worded 272 word address by Abraham Lincoln and the profound effect it had on the nation. He also comment on the struggle over the years that Americans have with its ideal and still does. He said Lincoln felt a new nation, conceived in Liberty needed a light to show people the way. He gave them that light.

statueofliberty.webp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 03 08:11

trout39843 wrote: 1st Jul 2023 at 5:38am No offence for correcting bro. I hope. [Blush.png] [Confused.png]
No problem trout mate, I’m always happy to be corrected [Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 03 09:18

One of my best and fondest memories was at a conference in Blackpool.
It was at the networking thing on Sunday and at midnight Tony (I think) started singing "Happy Birthday". I didn't realize it at first but when we all sang "dear America" I realized it was midnight and now the 4th of July.
Thanks all, I don't think y'all know how much it still means to me.

trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 03 09:55

I forgot to ask, anyone still got the bottle opener?