What's new retired members?

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jul 2023 03 10:23

Re: What's new retired members?

trout39843 wrote: 3rd Jul 2023 at 9:18am One of my best and fondest memories was at a conference in Blackpool...
I missed that one. I did go to the Westminster Academy Caretakers Conference. Happy days!

Work got in the way and where my first head teacher was happy for me to go and was full of support for my website, subsequent heads (had 6 in all) were not so happy for me to take the time off. Such a shame as I really enjoyed meeting all the members.

Jay did a great job of organising the conference with the RTA in my absence. [Like.png]

It is also sad that the original team at the RTA (Regional Training Agency) were closed down. The RTA did continue under different management but were not interested in running conferences any more. The RTA have completely gone now, there website says forbidden. viewtopic.php?p=370164#p370164

No criticism of all the newer members, but they seem a different breed to us older caretakers and I doubt many would attend if we were to arrange something ourselves.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 03 15:52

trout39843 wrote: 3rd Jul 2023 at 9:55am I forgot to ask, anyone still got the bottle opener?
As you know Trout my friend, the bottle opener in question was behind the bar in my lodgings and i hope it is still there, i certainly wouldn't want it 😂😂😂.
Just for those who don't understand, you had to be there 🍆
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 08:06

thecaretaker wrote: 3rd Jul 2023 at 10:23am I missed that one. I did go to the Westminster Academy Caretakers Conference. Happy days!

Work got in the way and where my first head teacher was happy for me to go and was full of support for my website, subsequent heads (had 6 in all) were not so happy for me to take the time off. Such a shame as I really enjoyed meeting all the members.

Jay did a great job of organising the conference with the RTA in my absence. [Like.png]

It is also sad that the original team at the RTA (Regional Training Agency) were closed down. The RTA did continue under different management but were not interested in running conferences any more. The RTA have completely gone now, there website says forbidden. viewtopic.php?p=370164#p370164

No criticism of all the newer members, but they seem a different breed to us older caretakers and I doubt many would attend if we were to arrange something ourselves.
I think the problem i and many others would have is we would simply not be allowed to attend. Sadly we are seen as non essential by modern day managers. I for one would come at a weekend though
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 04 08:15

I too would struggle in normal working time. Can't see me being released for (in their heads) "a Jolly".

At a weekend I would definitely try to attend but travelling distance would be a killer.
Anything more than a hundred miles or so would a, cost too much, and b, be too tiring (we are all getting on now aren't we?).

Is there a call for area meets?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2023 04 08:19

TheTaker wrote: 4th Jul 2023 at 8:06am I think the problem i and many others would have is we would simply not be allowed to attend. Sadly we are seen as non essential by modern day managers. I for one would come at a weekend though
Yes, a few years ago I think caretakers had more gravitas. Often referred to as the heads right arm man (person). But thanks to Huntly and a few other bad apples, the term caretaker has become a dirty word these days. [Angry.png]

You used to get 8-10 caretakers honoured in the Queens New Year Honours list every year. But none have been awarded anything in recent years. The odd Lollipop lady...

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
topcat101
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 22 13:47

I don't know about the bottle opener but my Boaty friends brought me an inflatable sheep (Barrbara) for my birthday last year.
Frienship is like Sunshine
It keeps you warm and makes you grow.

To err is human - Its only teachers that can completely screw things up.

I may not be a peasant, but I am revolting

Under the Sale of Goods Act, I demand a refund, this government was misdescribed and has not lived up to expectations and is not fit for purpose.
topcat101
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 22 13:58

I am spending my retirement (until my health fails) cruising the canal system in my 60 Narrowboat. Started off in a marina but now continually cruise and move every 14 days. New view and new back garden every time. Clocked up 3500 hours in the 5 years i have had her. Sometimes get neighbours but if I don't like them I simply move on I often end up near a canalside pub....nothing changes there
Regular boozy weekends with a group of fellow Single Handed Boaters. Currently making my way to Stoke Bruerne in Northamptonshire for my 65th next weekend.
Frienship is like Sunshine
It keeps you warm and makes you grow.

To err is human - Its only teachers that can completely screw things up.

I may not be a peasant, but I am revolting

Under the Sale of Goods Act, I demand a refund, this government was misdescribed and has not lived up to expectations and is not fit for purpose.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 22 14:48

So glad you are enjoying it TC, you deserve the R&R that thise weekends and the lifestyle yourboat gives you. I couldn't be happier for you my good friend
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 22 15:05

topcat101 wrote: 22nd Jul 2023 at 1:58pm I am spending my retirement (until my health fails) cruising the canal system in my 60 Narrowboat.
Sounds idyllic [Like.png] nice to hear from you again TC [Happy.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2023 22 16:01

Feel slightly a fraud with the title retired site manager on my badge, I mean I did leave schools but I still work albeit in a different industry.

These days I cover the H&S of 50+ sites for one company, along with running the facilities team too. Very busy with that but try and relax with kayaking at the weekend.

My former boss at the shoot retired completely a few years back and all he does is fish on his boat all day, for me one day.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!