You need to spread the word

Get all the latest website & forum news. Tell us what you like and don't like about the site...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2023 16 10:10

You need to spread the word

There are 32,163 schools in the UK, most have a Site Manager or Caretaker. Yet only 1,100 Caretakers are members of our forum. I'm sure we could do better than this. So remember to spread the word the next time you visit another Caretaker's school.

Our numbers have dropped off. On a weekday, we often averaged around 80-90 Caretakers logging on to the site each day. Now we seem to be around the 60 mark.

We don't advertise and totally rely on word of mouth. So get out there and spread the word. The more members in our community the better the help and advice we can give.

It's down to you...

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 10:58

Re: You need to spread the word

I think it may be down to the use of agency caretakers, I spoke to the mostly agency caretakers in our mat before retiring about the forum and they didn’t seem that interested. It seems the “Care” is slowly disappearing from the profession as more and more cost-cutting occurs.
[Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 11:26

Keyolder wrote: 16th Sep 2023 at 10:58am I think it may be down to the use of agency caretakers, I spoke to the mostly agency caretakers in our mat before retiring about the forum and they didn’t seem that interested. It seems the “Care” is slowly disappearing from the profession as more and more cost-cutting occurs.
[Neutral.png]
I agree with the above, i have spoken with the two guys who took over from me when i retired, 1 only lasted 10 months then it took them ages to get another and he has been there 6 months or so. Both of them said they are only concerned with the job during working hours and not interested after that and that seems to be becoming the new way nowadays. They have had various agency assistants as well over the last year as nobody fancies the job at 18.5 hours. In a few years the care will certainly have disappeared from Caretaker
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Sep 2023 16 14:52

Having worked as a site manager in a school many years I often looked in here for information. Now left and work as a caretaker in a care home environment. The site in my eyes only relates to school caretaker / site managers. I've asked many in my surroundings and they have looked on the site and agree. But I'm here representing them. And yes it's got some great information. Maybe the site needs to invite other caretakers from non school environments also. Thoughts.
Scooter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 15:27

More often than not I'll just browse through the conversations. I only log on if i feel like posting a reply.
seedfut06
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 16 17:49

As soon as I log on at work I have the HM or BM on my shoulder. All my traffic is monitored. The care part is definately going. I left the National trust and the bloke-my assistant who took over felt that we are the lowest of the low only to be called on in a crisis to make others feel better if it works. Same at my school. I dont care about the job anymore its just work. They keep going anyone can do my job so whats the point.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 17 20:13

A lot of schools do not employ a full time caretaker just mobile or agency and they are not really interested as it is not there school, i had a female relative who was a long term caretaker and even she did not want to know as she worked for years in the same school with no issues (Lucky Her) and a lot of caretakers are leaving because of he shear amount of paper work and regulations involved. [Crazy.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2023 17 22:11

A lot of the big hitters on the forum tend to be retired caretakers. Inclusive as that is, it needs a balance of working caretakers.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 18 07:46

I always do.
I have spread the word to at least 5 that I know of and another who signed up.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2023 18 09:41

I have told at least 6 people as we are part of 5 schools and also a caretaker who i found out had just started in our veterans coffee morning.

Not sure if any have had a look but at least they know. I was looking for years before i found this site.