Cost of water for caretakers house

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 10:53

Cost of water for caretakers house

How we all doing out there,,, I have lived on site now just over 14 years god that has flown passed fast . Anyway my monthly water bill has been an average of 60+ a month 3 bed house just me and the wife for the most of it not on a meter billed by the LEA. So for a while I have been saying we are paying way to much just to be told no we are giving it you at a discount it should cost more. I asked about a water meter and got told I could not have one some waffle about the feed coming from school. left for a while then asked again Yorkshire water this time yes no problem we can fit it in the house. all sorted my bill has gone from £60+ a month to £24. so working that out I have been over paying roughly £40 a month for 14 years 40 x12 =480 for 14 years 480x14= 6720 over billed. With inflation etc it would have been less 14 years ago but even allowing for that it will still be over 4k plus interest. I think I have been paying the bill for the school not the house on the grounds. Going to leave it for a while just to make sure the billing is correct then start asking why when I asked have I been over billed so much.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 11:00

Re: Cost of water for caretakers house

Can you prove you haven't just started using less water since you've had the meter fitted?
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 11:03

Nail wrote: 3rd Oct 2023 at 11:00am Can you prove you haven't just started using less water since you've had the meter fitted?
going to wait 6 months see how the bill works out before jumping up and down .
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2023 03 13:04

Just for comparison I pay around £40 per month for water in with my council tax.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 13:15

hotwheels wrote: 3rd Oct 2023 at 11:03am going to wait 6 months see how the bill works out before jumping up and down .
I'm playing devil's advocate - you're saying you were overpaying but the school can say you were using four times the amount of water before and you can't prove otherwise.

I totally understand your frustration though.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 03 13:24

I lived in school houses for 35 years and never paid rent until the last 11 years but never in the 35 years did i pay for water, must be different from area to area
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Oct 2023 03 19:30

magpie wrote: 3rd Oct 2023 at 1:24pm I lived in school houses for 35 years and never paid rent until the last 11 years but never in the 35 years did i pay for water, must be different from area to area
That’s changed a CT local to where I was is having his water rates clawed back by the school. However like you mine was paid by the school.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 04 07:08

I have always paid all the utilities in my current school house.

In my previous job for a different LA, just gas and electric.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 04 08:09

always paid all the bills but rent and water is deducted from my wage, another bug bare is we pay for bins to be emptied within the council tax bill but don't have a bin we use the school bins house is in the grounds. I own a house that we use every weekend and all holidays getting it ready to retire we pay £12 a month water by meter and are in credit from over paying at that rate.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2023 04 17:11

jay wrote: 3rd Oct 2023 at 7:30pm That’s changed a CT local to where I was is having his water rates clawed back by the school. However like you mine was paid by the school.
Typical that they would do that Jay mate, is it an academy or LA, i could believe it if an academy but not the LA
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.