Moving over to an Acadamy.

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 12 16:17

Re: Moving over to an Acadamy.

twiglets wrote: 12th Feb 2024 at 7:37am Morning all, looks like we are going to move soon. Last thing Friday (just before half term), they dropped an email to say they will start the investigation into joining a local trust. Used the format that as we need a new HT, good time to do it. I think it shocked the SLT as they were not in the discussions it seems.

Fact, it will happen so no point in worrying- yet [Scared.png]

For those in the know, how does it really effect us with TUPE? do we keep the same pension set up as having less than 7 years, I'm more interested in protecting my future?

I've heard both arguments for and against, so, will just watch and listen.

Your constructive thoughts, as always, would be appreciated [fever.png] .
We moved over on TUPE but as i mentioned in an earlier post, eventually the term reorganisation or standardisation will appear and then they will look to bring in their own terms and conditions and rates of pay so TUPE will in itself become redundant
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 13 13:04

twiglets wrote: 12th Feb 2024 at 7:37am Morning all, looks like we are going to move soon. Last thing Friday (just before half term), they dropped an email to say they will start the investigation into joining a local trust. Used the format that as we need a new HT, good time to do it. I think it shocked the SLT as they were not in the discussions it seems.

Fact, it will happen so no point in worrying- yet [Scared.png]

For those in the know, how does it really effect us with TUPE? do we keep the same pension set up as having less than 7 years, I'm more interested in protecting my future?

I've heard both arguments for and against, so, will just watch and listen.

Your constructive thoughts, as always, would be appreciated [fever.png] .

I started writing this yesterday but lost it.

It's been a few years, since I looked into this, but there are 3 exceptions to TUPE that allow the new employer to abandon its obligations. I think they are economic, organisational or technological. I think that academies can easily meet the first two allowing them to change your terms and conditions.

I know some private schools have replaced the TPS or LGPS with cheaper alternatives to reduce their costs. I am not aware of academies having done this. I think recruitment and retention of quality staff would be impacted too much.

I think that you are right to wait to see what happens. There will be many changes across the board and they cannot do them all at once. You will soon get a flavour of what the Academy is about. It may be worth speaking to the site team at the last school to join the Academy Trust to see what changes were made and any timescale. This will allow you the time to find your next move, should you need.

Academisation was a great opportunity for schools to get hold of the (LAG) funding that had previously been top sliced by LAs from school budgets. It was the financial carrot for academisation. (Many headteachers championed the move for their schools as they could escape the shackles that limited their own pay.)

The money has now disappeared into the ether, as neither the academies or LAs get it. Schools and academies now have to pay for what was once freely provided by LAs. Academies now have to contribute to the Trust's expenses (These often include a CEO, central HR and Finance person) . This creates additional financial strain on top of the real terms reductions in school budgets. It forces academies to look for saving cash in self-defeating and ludicrous ways.
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 14 08:50

Interesting post..
Loads of good points most seems to be down to finance and the changing school environment..
The school I look after became an academy about five years ago now and to be honest I have been left alone a lot of the jobs I was doing have been taken away from me ..outside agency's do them now even a key holding company is now in place ( strange that there wasn't need for one for the last twenty years lol)..
The term restructure is mentioned every few months but nothing has happened yet ( but it will )
Some staff have moved on and not been replaced at all levels...
TAs are now covering lunchtime something that they have never had to do..
Time are changing and I think I maybe for the axe in the future..
But best thing is carry on if it suits you if it gets bad move on to suit you..
Twodogs
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 13 16:16

Interested to hear others stories of switching to MAT

It looks like we are heading to a MAT potentially