Do you use your own tools?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2023 27 14:21

Re: Do you use your own tools?

i used to, now I argue that these tools will outlast me, so it's an investment into the maintenance of the school going forward.

I have accounts with toolstation, the local builders merchant, ironmongery direct, the local locksmith/plumbing merchant and also a TradeUK card should I need *ANYTHING* in order to maintain the school.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 06:57

My school had the worst tool collection known to man lots of stuff all of it utterly useless...fortunately my car is my rolling tool box so its never been an issue and they also provided me with a B&Q trade card so consumable's such as screws, nuts bolts, and decorating supplies are stocked and manage by me. (one draw back with your own tools is they can disappear my drill was left in my office and someone helped themselves to it and when it eventually returned it was useless So just bare that in my mind teachers tend to think anything on that site is fair game for them to take and use abuse without a care in the world.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 08:15

hendo91 wrote: 28th Nov 2023 at 6:57am My school had the worst tool collection known to man lots of stuff all of it utterly useless...fortunately my car is my rolling tool box so its never been an issue and they also provided me with a B&Q trade card so consumable's such as screws, nuts bolts, and decorating supplies are stocked and manage by me. (one draw back with your own tools is they can disappear my drill was left in my office and someone helped themselves to it and when it eventually returned it was F#@%ED). So just bare that in my mind teachers tend to think anything on that site is fair game for them to take and use abuse without a care in the world.
In fairness to the teachers, anything on site usually does belong to the school.

I would be asking the school to purchase a small amount of basic tools each month until you no longer need to use your own.

Also check your car insurance as tools left in the vehicle will be seen as a much higher risk to insurers. Even if they accept that the chances of them replacing all the tools left in the vehicle are slim to none for a private insurance as they will see it as commercial usage.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Caretak3r
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 08:42

My school gave me a budget of a few hunred quid to get the tools I didn't have but needed & I can usually go and pick up any odds & --- censored word --- I need as screws,raw plugs etc.
JeffW
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 09:57

I started of using my own tools, but we had a H&S inspection from the council and I was told that I wasn't allowed to use my own tools.
So the school allowed me to choose a set of tools, which was nice.
There's still some tools of mine that I have to sneak in from time to time, but the school tools are now fine for every day use.

This is the list if anyone's interested of what I ordered.

Screwfix order;

500PV SDS Drill
635PV Drill & Impact Driver Twin Kit
441HT Saw 20"
234HP 6.5mm Drill Bit
71701 Basin Wrench
221PV Cordless Torch
660PT Tool Box
265XH Screwdriver Set
582XH Adjustable Wrench
381XH Hammer
880XH Pliers
677XH Spirit Level
738XH Tape Measure
474KV Gloves
480PG Power Tool Accessories
263FM Filler Knife
46975 Wrecking Bar
58202 Utility Bar
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 12:06

Used to before i retired as the school tools were few and far and not fit for purpose plus i prefered tools that i am used to and can trust to finish the job. [Success.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 12:11

Says a lot about an employer if you have no tools or an office. Check your contract and unless it says you have to supply your own tools don't.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 14:35

When I started some 5 years ago there was a selection of tools left by the previous site manager. The usual, screwdrivers, saws, spanners, hammers and the like. From time to time I have brought things from home such as a circular saw. Things that might not warrant a purchase for a one off job but still make it easier for me. Anything that needs replacing I simply use the card at Screwfix or B&Q. I do need to fill out a requisition form but the head usually signs it of without question as a matter of trust.

But when it comes to hanging up my boots, anything that is mine is going with me. [Like.png]

p.s. the toolbox is mine as I like to have them all in one place.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
cockneychris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 28 16:26

Goodness, its been over two years that I have retired and just thought I would look in. I had an agreement with the head that if I used my own tools then they would be replaced when they were worn out, That included machines,screws, in fact everything. When I arrived they only had a bent level.
Don't argue with fools! They'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 29 08:31

I have spent the last 22 years trying to get the school to buy tools and it's a different excuse every time.
The last couple of months i have took everything of mine home and if they wanted boards put up or a door handle fixt i just said sorry i haven't got any tools.
They soon got the message and now have let me order some tools.

Definitely don't use your own tools, you might think your doing them a favour but your not thought of any more and you don't get paid enough to supply tools. How many managers have you seen buying things for the school?

They also expect you to be a carpenter, builder and plumber but have you been paid as they do?

Rant over [Happy.png]