Site Manager - Performance Review

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Bevingtonc
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 11:28

Site Manager - Performance Review

Hi All

I've got my review coming up, which is fine, I'm always happy and confident there will be no issues, I'm asked this year to have a think about 3 targets that I can focus on, I'm absolutely rubbish at coming up with targets, do any of you have any suggestions?

Cheers
Chris
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2023 01 11:37

Re: Site Manager - Performance Review

I love it when they say this… why do you need to think of targets?? It’s your appraisal, your line manager should be setting them not you.
Go with something simple in that case;
1 keep paths clear.
2 keep toilets clean
3 empty bins
[Big grin.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 14:04

I have been given targets since the BM started and even more so now that we have two deputies wanting to have an impact. Like what has already been said, it is up to others to prioritise what needs to be done and then you worth is not taken for granted it is proven. [Like.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 14:05

I have been given targets since the BM started and even more so now that we have two deputies wanting to have an impact. Like what has already been said, it is up to others to prioritise what needs to be done and then you worth is not taken for granted it is proven. [Like.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 16:06

just passed my fourth anniversary in post and have never had a performance review or appraisal. None of the support staff (including SBM) have !!

Our learned colleagues have them regular as clockwork !
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 16:19

13 years and ........ no performance review yet [Scared.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 16:39

Bevingtonc wrote: 1st Nov 2023 at 11:28am Hi All

I've got my review coming up, which is fine, I'm always happy and confident there will be no issues, I'm asked this year to have a think about 3 targets that I can focus on, I'm absolutely rubbish at coming up with targets, do any of you have any suggestions?

Cheers
Chris
Keep them generic in nature as the job is impossible to pin down in terms of specific goals.

Things like.
Improving communication between your department and the rest of the school.
Planning of jobs in the short and long term to improve the school facilities
taking a stronger look at the H&S around the school in order to make the school safer.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 01 21:29

To be honest iv always had mine regular as clockwork and looked forward to it as providing you met and exceeded your targets resulted in a 2% one off bonus payment (Hertfordshire here).
But this is now being taken away and replaced with sick pay from day 1 as opposed to only after the second day so I’m really not fussed or really bothered about meeting them now.
This really only helps those who are off sick regularly, or encourages you to do so.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 02 07:33

Without knowing what your role is, or whether you wish to "advance", it is hard for anyone to give you pointers.

I have just had my PM meeting.
My targets are much the same every year. essentially centred around keeping the school safe.
Because i am on the wind down stage of my "career" i am happy with no more training, and just continuing to do what i do.

The main problem for many is that the person carrying out the review has little or no knowledge of what our job ACTUALLY involves.

I will complete our caretakers PM this week.

I know his role inside out. I know where he is good, i know where he needs guidance. So i can advise and agree objectives. He has been asked what part of the role he would like to learn more about, and we will arrange for the necessary training.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 02 07:56

I tend to set myself:
1 H&S objective
1 Maintenance objective
1 School development objective
1 Personal development objective
1 set by Manager, now exec head.

Then we hash them down to what the exec head thinks is most relevant.