Grass recovery

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

abcd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 22 14:43

Grass recovery

Hello,
There's a lot of grassy areas of the playground at my school - well, when I say grass, about half of it is now mud. What things can I do to try and enable grass to recover? It's covered in leaves - should I rake it off or let it turn to compost for the grass? I'm also cordoning it off in rainy weather. Tried to fence it off completely last summer which worked a wee bit after I planted some grass seeds but the school wanted the area reinstated after a month so did not improve much.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 22 14:53

Re: Grass recovery

Not much you can do until the spring. Then rake any debris off, aerate the soil with an aerator (thing with lots of spikes on) scatter new seed (make sure you buy a tough grass seed) and feed with a lawn feed as directed.

Unless you keep people off the grass, any grass can only take so much punishment. But grass (if you buy the right type of heavy duty/sports grass seed) is surprisingly resilient and will often win in the end.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 22 15:10

thecaretaker wrote: 22nd Nov 2023 at 2:53pm Not much you can do until the spring. Then rake any debris off, aerate the soil with an aerator (thing with lots of spikes on) scatter new seed (make sure you buy a tough grass seed) and feed with a lawn feed as directed.

Unless you keep people off the grass, any grass can only take so much punishment. But grass (if you buy the right type of heavy duty/sports grass seed) is surprisingly resilient and will often win in the end.
CT has it here..

We have OPAL play and our field gets hammered as they play out in all weathers.

I do keep saying that to the head and pointing out the grass needs time to recover particularly this time of year as any mud when trampled in will compact the soil making it impossible for the grass to re grow.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2023 22 23:45

Grass is pretty resilient stuff and “should” make a recovery during the spring but as said may need a little boost if it’s really been hammered.
You could also sprinkle a little grass seed in the affected areas. Won’t really do much now but will give a chance for it to bed in, keep damp and hopefully make an appearance in March / April time [Thumb_up.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 23 07:48

Sparky wrote: 22nd Nov 2023 at 11:45pm Grass is pretty resilient stuff and “should” make a recovery during the spring but as said may need a little boost if it’s really been hammered.
You could also sprinkle a little grass seed in the affected areas. Won’t really do much now but will give a chance for it to bed in, keep damp and hopefully make an appearance in March / April time [Thumb_up.png]
It will probably rot if you put it in now.
Spring is the best time wait until you see the other grass growing the seed and protect.
abcd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 23 08:44

Thanks for the advice! Good idea about an aerator - I'll try and get one for the spring along with hardy grass seeds.

Just one more question - do you normally rake off the leaves during winter?
abcd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 23 08:46

Vera wrote: 22nd Nov 2023 at 3:10pm any mud when trampled in will compact the soil making it impossible for the grass to re grow.

I think that's what happened last year - I spent far longer than I should have, hacking away at the rock-hard ground to plant the seeds last summer.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 23 08:55

abcd wrote: 23rd Nov 2023 at 8:44am Thanks for the advice! Good idea about an aerator - I'll try and get one for the spring along with hardy grass seeds.

Just one more question - do you normally rake off the leaves during winter?
I only clear the ornamental grass areas at the front of the school.
The field is left as the leaves will rot and provide nutrients to the soil and grass.
It also is very beneficial to bugs and wildlife.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 23 09:29

abcd wrote: 23rd Nov 2023 at 8:44am Just one more question - do you normally rake off the leaves during winter?
I remember a gardener once telling me to go over the autumn leaves with a mower but don’t collect the clippings, they will rot down quicker than if you just leave them on top of the grass.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
abcd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 23 14:43

Great thanks. Better for the grass and nature and less work for me. Sounds good to me! [Big grin.png]