UK Pensions are worst in the world

The forum home for retired Caretakers. Share your thoughts about retirement and get advice...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 29 13:39

Re: UK Pensions are worst in the world

Because of the many recessions over the last 20 years, investments collapsing plus bailing out the banks the value of the £ dropped like a stone. Earnings were down due to pay freezes cuts in overtime and then there was staff reduction, leading to more work for the remaining staff. The employer’s contribution to workplace pensions was also reduced along the way, so adding all the above together, my work pension was around half of what it was originally forecast.
And this is true I’m sure for everyone’s work pension [Disappointment.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
JeffW
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 29 14:59

I just had a Google on the subject.

Holland's state pension seems to be 1000 euro's a month, and our state pension is (or will soon be) £221.20 a week.

Personally I wouldn't take too much notice of those left wing facebook memes.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 29 18:25

I think that it is well worth doing a check to see if you were contracted out, i was totally unaware that i had been like that but contacted the National Insurance people and paid a bit extra so that when i do get my state pension in about 16 months time, i will only be £1.94 a week short of a full pension
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
hawkwind
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 02 15:59

I was contracted out but I don't know for how many years exactly, it was around 1993 but after 3 years I was quite ill and I was on incapacity benefit for 6 year's before getting back into work.
My pension forecast is for the full amount but I'm a bit sceptical about just how accurate that is.
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.