Do electric cars interest you

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2023 26 19:17

Do electric cars interest you

Just wondering if electric cars are making you think of upgrading to one, if you don't already have one. For me. No. Maybe once we have enough charging infrastructure in GB.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 26 19:58

Re: Do electric cars interest you

Yes, I have owned an EV since 2016, and having no home charging have used public charge points exclusively. Running costs for me now are very similar to that of running a fossil fuelled car, it was originally more pocket friendly but as with everything, the cost always goes up.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Nov 2023 26 23:04

Yes, I am on my second EV. I'm lucky to have a home charger and enjoy a low overnight tariff. The charging infrastructure is getting better all the time. If you can charge from home, you rarely have to visit public chargers for normal daily use. You only need to use public chargers if you plan a long journey or haven't got home charging.

Monthly Numbers General.png

Same spot...

24.jpg
23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 06:36

personally I am a huge petrol head...(I guess diesel head to) I have always had and currently have more than one car and have had at one point a Estima Hybrid and it was a brilliant vehicle round town battery long journeys combustion...electric vehicles as a whole don't interest me and that is purely subjective I think there another 10-15 years away from where they think they are in terms of the infrastructure and actual day to day usability.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 08:05

Yes in a word.

However here is the nub.
Currently there are no EV's that would meet what I would want from it.

My opinion is that EV's excel for commuting and short trips around your local area.
Currently they are not the replacement for cars that travel larger distances this makes them too heavy and the journey takes too long.

Therefore my need is for a small ish (not AMI) sized simple electric car which is relatively cheap has a smaller battery (less weight) and none of the stupid bells and whistles that it seems necessary to stick onto cars nowadays (Don't even get me started on the move to have a car that has everything on it and you pay subscriptions for things you want activated [Angry.png] )

A simple cheap runabout EV that is well built and safe. that is all. Problem is nobody makes one.

I can hire a car for longer distances.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 08:28

No. I have a 30 year old van which has paid for itself countless times over. It has hardly needed anything apart from mile worn items like tyres exhaust and brakes. Minor welding so far. I shall drive it until it cannot be economically repaired. It also is going up in value every year. Unlike any ev!
ric70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 08:41

WE have a tesla and never had any trouble charging
only ever used super chargers though as they are much cheaper than 3rd party chargers

Wife regually does long trips from south coast to leeds/nottingham/cambridge with no problems the car just
directs you to charger if needed or she just stops for toilet breaks and gets a quick charge needed or not

we have a home charger on nighttime cheap rate which works out about 2p a mile
Jack-the-Bug
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 08:56

Nope, not for me.
I like my classics and my daily car too which is petrol.
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 09:05

no - we don't have off street parking, there are no public chargers near home (nearest is in a pay & display car park 2 miles away), they don't have enough range for us plus the fact that they are WAY out of our price range.
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2023 27 12:11

I would upgrade to one but the infrastructure needs to be sorted out first. I live in London and the nearest charge point is a mile away. Also charging from home is impossible as I live in a first floor flat. The cost of EV's need to come down, which I think they will as battery technology expands.