2 New SSD drives

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 08 17:00

2 New SSD drives

I've been away from the forum today. I had run out of disk storage space for all my music and videos so I decided to splash the cash on 2 new 4TB SSD drives. They were cheaper than the last time I looked, but they still cost me a packet. Amazon link

When I built this PC, I had 2 x 2TB Crucial SSD drives and they were far outlasting the Samsung drives according to Crysaldisk. Both Crucial drives are still showing 99% healthy whereas the 2 smaller Samsung SSD drives of the same age had dropped to 84% and 86%.

So I bought 2 New 4TB Crucial drives (same type MX500), kept the 2 x 2TB drives and just using a smaller Samsung for my C drive backups.

It has taken me most of the day to transfer all my music, Video and installation files to the new drives. But all went smoothly and I'm back in business.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 164624.png

The passport is an external USB drive where I put the largest of my video backups when I didn't have space on my E or F drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 09 09:39

Re: 2 New SSD drives

That’s quite some storage you have there [Like.png]

I still have old fashioned portable hard drives (non-SSD) for my backups. Although I have a tiny M2 portable SSD drive I use when on the move. I don’t backup as often as I should, only when I remember or the screen popups get too frequent…
[--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_embarassed.gif]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2023 09 12:06

Keyolder wrote: 9th Dec 2023 at 9:39am That’s quite some storage you have there [Like.png]

I still have old fashioned portable hard drives (non-SSD) for my backups. Although I have a tiny M2 portable SSD drive I use when on the move. I don’t backup as often as I should, only when I remember or the screen popups get too frequent…
[--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_embarassed.gif]
I'm a bit paranoid about backing things up. I have a collection of music I've purchased and downloaded in the good old days of MP3.com and I thought I had made a mistake by formatting the wrong drive. I went ice cold with shock thinking I had lost everything. But thankfully, I hadn't formatted the wrong drive but it taught me a lesson. Back-up, back-up, backup. You can never have too many backups. [Big grin.png]

I'm just as paranoid about backing up my C drive. I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for Macrium Reflect. It takes just over a minute to do a full C drive backup and the same to restore it. I find it really useful if I want to try out a program and then decide I don't like it. By restoring the last backed up image, I don't fill up the registry with loads of junk. And if my C drive ever died, it would take only a few minutes to be back up and running.

I've also written my own robocopy scripts to back up my email, firefox settings, my documents folders etc. When I built this PC, I was back up and running in no time.

I have a nightly routine now, before I go to bed, I back everything up. Including this website and Sql database.

You can't beat Macrium for ease of use and reliability. I was never happy with Windows flaky built-in roll back system introduced in Windows 7 and soon to be removed.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dunnickin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 11 08:55

SSD drives make an enormous difference to old and not so old computers, don't they. Anyone who does not have their C drive on a SSD ought to change that ! Macrium reflect doing very good deals right now,too.Lots of very cheap 250gb and 500gb drives out there, but I still find the Samsung ones the best for quality/ price balance. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_tongue.gif]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2023 11 09:16

Dunnickin wrote: 11th Dec 2023 at 8:55am Macrium reflect doing very good deals right now,too.
Yes, they often do black Friday deals with 50% off. They have dropped their free offering, but it can still be had if you know how their installer works. But I also understand they will be dropping the one time purchase and focussing on the annual subscription.

I couldn't live without it. [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_cheesy.gif]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dec 2023 11 19:41

My PC has a 2tb SSD as the main drive and an 8 tb normal drive as my games and video storage.

Scary fast.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2023 11 23:52

jay wrote: 11th Dec 2023 at 7:41pm My PC has a 2tb SSD as the main drive and an 8 tb normal drive as my games and video storage.

Scary fast.
My C drive is a Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD drive. Yes, SSD is fast, but you want to see the speed of these new M.2 drives. 7,000MB/s Read, 7,000MB/s Write.

The only downside, SATA drives are easy to move about and swap. These M2 SSD drives are tiny and are fixed with a tiny micro sized screw. To replace one requires good eye sight, a steady hand and tipping the PC on its side. You'll need the patients of a surgeon and hope you don't drop the little screw inside the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZk-6z_maPE

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 12 10:35

thecaretaker wrote: 11th Dec 2023 at 11:52pm These M2 SSD drives are tiny and are fixed with a tiny micro sized screw. To replace one requires good eye sight, a steady hand and tipping the PC on its side. You'll need the patients of a surgeon and hope you don't drop the little screw inside the case.
I have a pair of neodymium magnets that I use for magnetizing guitar pickups, I also use the magnets to magnetise screwdrivers used in any tight and awkward situations.

Those M2 drives are blisteringly fast, years away from using cassettes for data storage on early computers, hoping or praying it would save or load. And back then I thought the 3.5-inch diskettes were a fast and a much better alternative to cassettes.
[--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_cool.gif]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dec 2023 12 11:36

Keyolder wrote: 12th Dec 2023 at 10:35am I have a pair of neodymium magnets that I use for magnetizing guitar pickups, I also use the magnets to magnetise screwdrivers used in any tight and awkward situations.

Those M2 drives are blisteringly fast, years away from using cassettes for data storage on early computers, hoping or praying it would save or load. And back then I thought the 3.5-inch diskettes were a fast and a much better alternative to cassettes.
[--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_cool.gif]
I remember having a floppy drive with my Commodore 64. Still got a floppy, but that's another story [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_laugh.gif]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 12 15:27

thecaretaker wrote: 12th Dec 2023 at 11:36am I remember having a floppy drive with my Commodore 64. Still got a floppy, but that's another story [--- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---_laugh.gif]
I used to have to repair 8" floppy drives they were remarkably simple..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]