Motoring Quiz

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 29 08:42

Re: Motoring Quiz

Keyolder wrote: 28th Dec 2023 at 3:36pm Out of necessity the first year of owning a car I had to buy budget tyres. They looked ok with plenty of tread but must have had a lot of plastic in their composition, as in the wet they were lethal.
[Scared.png]
If anyone needs a recommendation for decent (in all weathers) budget tyres then I can personally recommend Landsail tyres.
They are very reasonably priced offer good wet and dry grip and are not noisy.
The downside is slightly increased tyre wear about 30 thousand miles is normal, but I like to change my tyres regularly rather than having tyres that are so ruinously expensive that you are reluctant to change them and therefore hang on to the last minute where the grip and rain clearing properties have almost gone.
I have so far used them on my Vw camper, my lwb hi top Citroen relay camper and my wife's VW Beetle (2009) all correctly load rated and very soft and compliant on the heavy campers which is important if you don't want to lose your teeth over potholes.

Not all cheaper tyres are the same.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Dec 2023 29 09:57

As a general rule the best tyres on a car are when it`s new and then they get replaced by cheaper tyres, on a bike it`s cheaper tyres when new (even if branded) and they get replaced by better tyres. wrong way round on bikes as I want the best tyres I can get.
When my Tracer was new I went to overtake a car on a shiny road surface near the coast, lighter faster bike than my previous bike, wacked the throttle open and went sideways, mother and father of all tank slappers which threw my leg off the pegs [Scared.png] could have been the tyres, could have been road surface, don`t know but the traction control is now on, albeit the low setting and I have expensive tyres on it [Success.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 29 10:11

Vera wrote: 29th Dec 2023 at 8:42am If anyone needs a recommendation for decent (in all weathers) budget tyres then I can personally recommend Landsail tyres.

Not all cheaper tyres are the same.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll certainly research them [Thumb_up.png]

I’m looking out for replacement tyres for my car, I’ll probably need to replace two of them next summer. Looking at tyre reviews on YouTube and other websites the difference now between budget and mid-price tyres in terms of wet grip, longevity and noise is quite small. I’m not flushed with money but usually go for mid-price tyres from a well-known manufacturer, rather than the cheapest no name jobbie. I also tend to replace tyres well before the 1.6mm legal limit, usually around 2mm.

I remember my dad advising me years ago to buy the best quality you can afford for the bed you sleep in, the shoes on your feet, and the tyres on your car.
[Like.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 29 13:19

Keyolder wrote: 29th Dec 2023 at 10:11am I remember my dad advising me years ago to buy the best quality you can afford for the bed you sleep in, the shoes on your feet, and the tyres on your car.
[Like.png]
I like that and without knowing it, it is always something I've done in life. [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Dec 2023 29 20:21

I saw in the news earlier that police pulled over someone on Boxing day for driving without insurance and found he had 96 points on his licence (at the ripe old age of 23).Wonder what he would score on this quiz, not that he probably cares much about any of the rules?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]