Election year

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 04 14:15

Election year

So Rishi has just announced there will be an election later in the year. It’s likely he will hang on as long as possible before being kicked out. Time yet to line Tory pockets further. It seems bizarre that we had sunk so far with Boris as prime minister, only for him to be replaced with Liz. The absolute worst and short lived pm. Millions will pay for her actions for decades. Then Rishi. Wishywashy second choice to Liz.
After a dozen years in charge how have things improved under the Conservatives. Are you better off? Is it easier to see a dentist or doctor or receive medical treatment in hospital? Do you feel safer? Are schools better? Are you happy with billions being spaffed away on track and trace and the PPE fiasco or the billions (and environmental destruction) wasted on HS2?
Just saying.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 05 16:46

Re: Election year

My guess is that Sunak will try a few electoral bribes. But currently nothing is working. Labour are well ahead in the polls & have been for a while. Unless Starmer goes mad with an axe in the checkout queue at Waitrose, I cannot see him losing the election whenever it comes.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 06 10:33

I usually don’t get involved in politics as it brings up strong emotions.
But I have little faith in any of the parties given their track record of failures and lies… [Scared.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 06 10:43

This should be an interesting election choosing year. Who will tell the most fibs to get us to believe them and vote for them. 🤔
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 07 03:10

eebagum wrote: 6th Jan 2024 at 10:43am This should be an interesting election choosing year.
Yes, It will be interesting on both sides of the pond. With the Democrats trying to pull all kinds of dirty tricks on former President Trump to keep Bumbeling Joe in. (I can't understand why so many of you don't like President Trump? Look at what he did for our country.)
While I can not vote here, I don't think I have a right to comment but, yes, I think your work is cut out for y'all.
Good luck and may the best person win to bring prosperity to both countries.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2024 07 06:52

I just read that all bar one of my local Labour run council cabinet have announced their resignation – not from their cabinet positions but from membership of the national Labour Party. They want to dissociated themselves from the national Labour Party, which they claim “no longer provides us with the policies, the support or the focus on local government that we need”.

Cllr Evans cited “right wing policies and rhetoric… we have been micromanaged by Westminster-centric, unelected Labour Party officials.”

I wonder how many other Labour run councils feel the same? All is not well with the way Keir Starmer is running his party.

A Labour spokesperson said: “With Keir Starmer as leader, the Labour Party has changed fundamentally. The fact that these councillors, all holdouts from its previous regime, no longer feel the Labour Party is their home is conclusive proof of that. Ouch! that's a really harsh thing to say about your own people. All who were voted in by local people who voted Labour at the last local election in 2022.
https://www.hastingsindependentpress.co ... lled-apart

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 07 19:24

I thought that 8 Hastings councillors had resigned from the Labour Group.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 08 08:13

I think we're not going to see any difference who ever is in power. They all harp on about the others policies, but don't change them when the y get in. They all sit in the same offices and are like sports people, best of friends outside the match. I think the next election will be an extremely low turn out, and , in some cases, it will be won on tactical voting, with some of the other parties getting a few seats to prevent the two biggest getting them. Everyone in my region say if you don't want cons, then vote libs to get lab as libs are the number two here, thus you could see a coalition/hung result.

Oh, and they should stop using schools as polling stations, as it can make them close for the day, which is against the idea that kids should be in school.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 08 08:19

I technically identify as a liberal swing voter. Having said that i dont think i have ever voted Labour. Voted Tory/ Lib dems and after 13 years of regression and things actually getting worse im ready to put my trust in Labour.
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 08 09:25

Although my meanings are to the left, I tend to vote Lib Dem as I would be wasting my vote otherwise in the Lib Dem/Tory constituency, where I live. I do feel that we have seen a lot of self-serving ministers and more economic division in the past 14 years, or so. That said, I am more worried about Trump returning to power than who is in charge in the UK.

Sorry Trout, but I have a number of issues with your man. I see a man who does not understand anything remotely complex and labels such issues as fake or something he can influence by imparting Trump wisdom to those involved. I am worried that he will install protectionist policies and withdraw diplomacy and support around the world - in particular, Ukraine.

I see a man that does not have a grasp on reality. I did hear him claim that he could have talked Putin out of invading The Ukraine not because of the the threat of repercussions but because of the relationship they share - ignoring the ingrained ideology that Putin holds and his need to maintain his power. Even at the most inconsequential level, Trump feels that he has to offer an alternative Trump version that puts himself in a good light. The director of Home Alone 2 recently revealed that Trump insisted that he had a cameo as a condition of them filming at his hotel. I saw the film a few days ago and Trump simply gives Culkin directions. Trump claims that the film makers insisted he was in the film and he was the reason it was a success!

I would like to see him convicted for his more serious actions. The speech he made that fired up his supporters to attack the Capitol Building (before going off to play golf) is damning as is the audio of him trying to get election officials to find votes. I feel that he is unfit for office. I see a childishness in him that Boris Johnson shared, where he has never properly learnt that untruths are taboo.

I am sure he has some strengths. He gives an effective, simplistic speech. I just think the negatives hugely outweigh the positives.