Open Heart Surgery

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 01 14:48

Re: Open Heart Surgery

HarleyPete wrote: 1st Feb 2024 at 2:39pm Thanks for that, I did think it was low but I guess not. I notice the same thing now and again when doing certain things, but have always managed it sensibly. The cardiologist has mentioned weight a few times but never actually tells me the sorts of things I can try to loose weight.
I've thought about a static excercise bike but have worried it would be too much.

I guess until the conversation arises I won't really know, it's just historically I've seen others be treated badly in my opinion. Mental health issues don't help either in my case and I can (and have) made myself worse by focusing on the negative. It's not easy to change you metal state of mind over night but I'm working on it.
Been in the exact same situation with the exercise thing, the only information I got from my cardiologist was, and I quote "don't run any marathons"

In the end as others have said listen to your body and back off a little when you need to. But don't stop altogether unless you are told to.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
MrMoustache
Feb 2024 02 08:23

HarleyPete wrote: 1st Feb 2024 at 2:39pm Thanks for that, I did think it was low but I guess not. I notice the same thing now and again when doing certain things, but have always managed it sensibly. The cardiologist has mentioned weight a few times but never actually tells me the sorts of things I can try to loose weight.
I've thought about a static excercise bike but have worried it would be too much.

I guess until the conversation arises I won't really know, it's just historically I've seen others be treated badly in my opinion. Mental health issues don't help either in my case and I can (and have) made myself worse by focusing on the negative. It's not easy to change you metal state of mind over night but I'm working on it.
The weight is very important. I've lost weight with a balanced diet, which doesn't mean fastening but balancing the nutrients (the Mediterranean diet is an example) and having a routine (trying to eat regular times every day)
Obviusvely the exercise goes together, a treadmill should be a bit better than a bike but both will do the job

The mental health is a very delicate matter when such physical conditions are involved
Personally I didn't want any external help but everyone is different and the most important factor was my 'faith' to the cardiologist (I changed 3 of them and I always ask more than one opinion), after 8 years I still get defensive, my new GP wants to review my medications next week but I know already I will oppose to that and if necessary I will change GP. If I don't feel in safe hands my mental health will affect also my physical health
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 02 09:18

Theres no words that willextinguish te thoughts a worries you are feeling just now. i have two adult children who lived with sever heart defects battled through them from day 1. They live perfectly heathly and full lives. The others are right. You cannot simply be terminated from employment. there are proceedures in place to protect you. once you have had surgery and start your recovery you will know how you feel and will know yourself if things will not be the same, but i think you will makea good recovery. these things are not so serious as they used to be. full recovery rates likely high. Read up on it look at the stats. investigate. This will also help with employers, sit with them discuss it ask the questions. if needs be have someone with you.
Stay strong but talk...let people know your worries.. [Like.png]
"Can you just?....."
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 04 20:00

Thank you all, as I have said, I appreciate the support. Talking is a difficult thing for me but I am managing to change that slowly, even with the wife. I know she is worried but I have struggled to tell how much it is affecting me at the moment.
I realise I need to stop worrying so much about my work and concentrate on staying calm and unstressed. Hopefully that will make me feel more positive about the whole thing.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 05 07:35

HarleyPete wrote: 4th Feb 2024 at 8:00pm Thank you all, as I have said, I appreciate the support. Talking is a difficult thing for me but I am managing to change that slowly, even with the wife. I know she is worried but I have struggled to tell how much it is affecting me at the moment.
I realise I need to stop worrying so much about my work and concentrate on staying calm and unstressed. Hopefully that will make me feel more positive about the whole thing.
[Thumb_up.png] Absolutely, you've got to be honest. If you don't fill in the gaps her imagination will go into overdrive and her stress levels will rise. Your health and family should trump work, every time.
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 05:26

It never rains but it pours.

I ended up in the hospital on Monday(5th Feb), as I had some discomfort in my back, so I wasn't taking any chances.

They ruled out a heart attack but did another CT with contrast of the whole of my top half from neck to waistline. I then get told that not only do I have the issue with the aortic root and ascending aorta but apparently (unknown to me) I have an aortic aneurysm lower down the aorta, which, according to the doctor in A&E, is like a balloon.

So now I am signed off till I have my surgeons appointment then, who knows. Need (as someone mentioned on here) to get it out of my head, so I don't drive myself mad with worry or worse still keel over at work.

I am feeling rather numb at the moment but angry as well. At no point since this originally came to light has the cardiologist ever said that I had an issue lower down as well.I even re-read the latest letter that I received after the 22nd January this year. So now I am sat at home, not being able to work and trying to feel positive about things.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 07:15

so sorry to hear this but at least they have found it now and your still here, and don't worry about work. They should be sympathetic and hopefully support you.
Take care and take this time off to enjoy your family.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 08:18

Sorry to hear of the latest issue, HarleyPete.

Best wishes for a quick resolution to all of them.

Take care and take heed of medical and wife advice.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 08:47

I know it's easy for your mind to hone in on the cardiologist not finding the second problem, but at least they have now found it and can repair or treat it and be fully informed when they start your surgery.

Try as hard as you can to focus on the positives, they have found it and your entire upper body has now had a CT scan so nothing else to worry about there. [Thumb_up.png]

Good news is that with all your free time now you can pester all us lot and poke fun because we are all still slogging away! [Wink.png]

Good luck and keep us all informed..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 22 19:07

HarleyPete wrote: 12th Jan 2024 at 4:19pm Well, I have just been told that I now require open heart surgery at some point. I was dignosed some time ago with a dilated aortic root and descending aorta. This has been monitored but after the CT scan I had on Tuesday I was told that the dilation is now at a point where surgery is the only preventitive option. I'm sure that somehow this will be used to terminate my employment on the grounds of ill health or inability to carry out my role now I have informed HR (despite protestations to the contrary). To say that my life has been turned upside down is an understatement, feeling very "broken" at present.

Has anyone else been through something similar and managed to carry on working? Given my age I wonder if they will simply push for medical retirement as a reason to terminate. I seriously believe that one person above me would be over the moon if I was gone despite having worked at my school for almost twenty years. I don't think my knowledge or skills would be enough to make them think twice about it.

HP

Right, this is is how it worked for me i was blue lighted into a hospital which decided it that it didin`t have the cardio unit to deal with my problem. I was transferred to RSCH Brighton, which has the best cardiac & CICU in the south. It took me 16 hours on a trolley in A&E before being moved to a cardio ward. I don`t recall all the tests that I had prior to surgery about 36 hours later. My diagnosis was Aortic Stenosis. One of the valaves in my heart had packed up and must be replaced. A valve from a pig was used. Although a mechanical valve could have been used. I was in theatre for about 7 hours. Recovery has not been slow considering the size of the op . I am still tired but I am eating & sleeping better 2 weeks after surgery. I experienced very low mood swings. But this is by no means unusual