Holiday when to take it?

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 24 17:27

Re: Holiday when to take it?

As many, being a single person role, only have holidays in the holidays (plus you have to have the... only permitted in December... the 3/4/5 days between and new year off. I tend to take 2-3 weeks in summer (always the end), a couple of days at half terms, a week at Easter.
Same as others, "who's going to open up?" although no one will come in [Shock.png]
I did a simple search yesterday- 2 weeks in Florida to fit in the summer holiday, best price £1400 each for flight and hotel. Same search for middle of September £1400 for 2 [Angry.png]. Taking that there is little to do just after the start of term, I could offer all the summer and save a significant amount on a holiday (same goes for other destinations).
I did take a week off last November for a big birthday, I covered off everything before I went, they survived, therefore it is possible but all you hear is "we don't know what we would do without you" how about cope like I do when we are a cleaner or two down.
I think it's a good way to "reward" us without increasing our salary (they can't do that can they), and we would then feel we could offer all the holiday hours knowing we will get something for it in terms of a possible cheaper holiday.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 25 07:42

Vera wrote: 24th Jan 2024 at 3:20pm Have asked twice in the past and been told NO
I know, same here. My point was that you CAN ask. Not that it would be granted.

It is the problem we all face.
Again, when we do extra hours and are offered time of in lieu. When are we expected to take it?

It is even harder for colleagues that have not been in the role for long.

I have booked the same dates during the hols for 10+ years so the school top brass know when i will be around. E.G. i have never, and will never work the whitsun half term.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 25 07:51

this has been a pain since i started i'm 52 week contract with holidays any time at headteachers discretion ONLY iv never been aloud holidays outside the holidays.
Then it became a problem in the holidays one year i had holiday owing and was told they would pay me rather than me take them.
two years ago i was told i couldn't have my may holiday which is every year since i started so i kicked off and since everything has been fine.still no holidays in the holiday - i think people are just scared to do our job. [Big grin.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 25 08:49

I started a new job in September after being in the same role for 12 years. We moved an hour across the county so it was no longer feasible. I used every day I was entitled to in my old school, even having to cut short my summer holiday because my entitlement up to the point of leaving was x amount of days.

When I started my new school, I was told because it's Essex to Essex, my days carried across and I'm still on the top entitlement of 28 days! So from September through to March 31st, I had to fit in 16 days. When you sit down and work it out, that's not a lot of days in the holidays left to do work.....

Luckily my new head has been great about it, we had a few days where stuff needed doing in the holidays, so she has told me to come in for that specific day(s) and then take off another day that I want during term time and so long as she doesn't have anything before or after school, she unlocks/locks.

There is a bit of flexibility, and sometimes it can't be avoided, but if your job (or line manager) isn't allowing holidays during term time then they shouldn't expect you to go without and/or roll days over just because they want to have the school open 24/7!
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2024 25 12:18

Most contracts will say holidays are at the heads approval or agreed around the needs of the school. If those days were stated when you started and you agreed then I thinks it's fair. If you need to take some for a special occasion then I find most employers are ok as long as you give plenty of notice.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Jan 2024 25 15:03

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have always been fairly autonomous, perhaps that is the trust I am in.

I don't ask, I inform my line manager of my intentions, never had any issues. Term time, school hols, makes no difference. My argument is that school hols are golden times for us lot who work year round. No one other than my cleaners, contractors and myself means the volume of planned work is high and it's completed compared to during term time which is usually reactive works.
Mr Green
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 16 11:18

Sparky wrote: 24th Jan 2024 at 11:42am Fortunately I’m able to take my annual leave either term time or holidays. We are a large primary but the question was raised some years back when in mid March time I still had 3+ weeks of leave to take before 1st April.
It was decided that as holidays are the busiest time for planned works it’s not always feasible to be away, So now it’s pretty much whenever I like.
It’s worth the conversation to explain and see what’s possible. If it’s an outright no be sure to book every day you are entitled too despite what’s going on.
This is it, you are entitled to a break but not alllowed to take it at what I consider our busiest time. I had quite a few extra days last year so managed to take with with heads permission. Now I am bound by this term only scam. Unlike teaching and admin staff I am full time....

Think I need to discuss a few possible days with the head, not expecting to take my whole allowance during term time, I have to be flexible???

Good advice anyway ;-)
Rushfan
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 17 11:12

I've just had the past week off (in theory). I've been in work at various points every day but one waiting for contractors who turn up late or not at all. It's all par for the course.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 17 12:30

When I was at my school, in the beginning I was allowed to take vacations anytime. Then we got a HT who was a micromanaging so and so.
She told me that I could only take vacations in term break "so now I couldn't take advantage of the cheaper trips".
Well, what she didn't know is that I also have a good pension comming in from my Army days. I used to use the term breaks to get loads done and have the school open. Staff and contractors loved it. When I started closing the school in break time to take my same vacations the complaints came in.
Moral of the story, if it ain't broke then don't fix it.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 19 09:13

it says in my contract I can only take holidays in school holidays but my old head said as I was full time it was only fair to take them anytime. My problem is the school bis manager she always try's to book work in already knowing I have a holiday days booked just to cause a problem.Always without fail I can predict her normally 2 or 3 days before school finishes.I have got to the stage now I put all my holiday's in for the year and say you can do one I am off.