What hours do you work in the holidays?

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 09:58

What hours do you work in the holidays?

I think EBJ mentioned that he worked 8-4.30 during the holidays, on the recent painting thread. It immediately struck me as long hours.

I work 8-3.30pm M-TH and 8-3 F on a 37hours contract during the school holidays. Within that I take 30 mins for lunch. Nobody questions it. My argument as a team of one, a few years ago, was that as I am not free to walk away from the site to take my lunch break, so it cannot be added to my contracted hours. If the BM is in, I should work the extra half hour (as I can leave the site for lunch) but I tend to use this to offset those occasions when I am required to work beyond this to facilitate contractors' work. Before each holiday period I tell staff, on our WhatsApp group, what days the school will be open. (For simplicity, I tell them that the school is open 8-3.)

I wondered what hours others do and whether I am on my own in my stance?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 10:05

Re: What hours do you work in the holidays?

Dexter wrote: 7th Feb 2024 at 9:58am I think EBJ mentioned that he worked 8-4.30 during the holidays, on the recent painting thread. It immediately struck me as long hours.

I work 8-3.30pm M-TH and 8-3 F on a 37hours contract during the school holidays. Within that I take 30 mins for lunch. Nobody questions it. My argument as a team of one, a few years ago, was that as I am not free to walk away from the site to take my lunch break, so it cannot be added to my contracted hours. If the BM is in, I should work the extra half hour (as I can leave the site for lunch) but I tend to use this to offset those occasions when I am required to work beyond this to facilitate contractors' work. Before each holiday period I tell staff, on our WhatsApp group, what days the school will be open. (For simplicity, I tell them that the school is open 8-3.)

I wondered what hours others do and whether I am on my own in my stance?
Pretty much the same as me, but I will stretch if needed to finish some work then just take the time back usually on the Friday.
I always tell staff 08.00 to 14.00 to give me a buffer if they turn up in the afternoon. Of course that's if they bother to look.. [Scared.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 07 10:13

I work 8-4 which is a later start and finish than my term time hours. No need to get in for 7 for those teachers who like to be in early.

That's including my lunch break, and multiple tea breaks [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 10:53

0700 to 1400 ish. Always in early and finish when I finish, some days 1400, some days 1630- depends on contractors.
Even go home sometimes and come back to lock up as only 5 minutes away.
CO's always told 1300 latest as some will role in at 1330 and talk about their lovely lay in- but in reality might see one in for an hour that's it as they expect 13 weeks holiday a year [Shock.png]
Frankle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 11:56

0730 to 1530ish sometimes finish earlier sometimes later depends on the contractors I have in and what task I have started but not finished. Staff are told that I finish at 1500 so am rarely waiting for them to leave. Not many COs come in during the holidays only see the odd one in the summer.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 07 11:58

My hours are the same in the holiday as my normal working hours. We have an NHS building onsite so we have responsibility for opening and closing it. I work 07.00 to 15.30 M/T/W/T and on Friday it 07.00 to 15.00. My assistant changes his hours at holiday periods so we can work together to get more jobs complete. He then comes back later on in the evening to lock the NHS building up. We also have an agreement that I take my holidays in school holidays, joys of having kids at primary and secondary school and a wife that's a teacher. My assistant is semi retired and is quite happy to work the holidays and take time off in term time.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 14:16

During term time I work a split shift but non term work right through. I tend to take holidays around the bank holidays thus saving on my allocated days. (Easter, Spring Bank and August). On those normal weeks that I am in I am allowed to push my 36 hour week into 4 days working 08.00-17.30 which includes an unpaid half hour break. (apparently a requirement by law). It is not a requirement to leave site for lunch as I take something with me and throw Netflix on. [Wink.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
silleyanimal
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 14:47

7am till 2pm unless contractors in. Then take a3hr break .
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 07 14:48

Most holidays i would open up from 8 to 4.
I always had a schedule of works that had to be completed agreed by the head and govs. Once i get through it all i could then please myself whether i opened or not in the last 2 or 3 days.
All contractors, are as much as possible booked in for the first few days to get them out of the way

I put notices of the staff room board when i am in for the staff to gain access. i do not make special arrangements for them.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 07 17:05

Always used to be 8 until 4 but when the weekly hoirs dropped years ago it became 8 till 4 Mon Thurs then 8 until 3.30 on Friday
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.