What hours do you work in the holidays?

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 07 20:51

Re: What hours do you work in the holidays?

Up until I retired it was the same hours as magpie above, 8 to 4 and 3:30 on Fridays
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 05:46

Until 2021, I always worked 9am-4pm Mon-Fri, which, although not actually in my contract, was in force before I even started. As such, this then became what they call "an implied term and condition". Then in 2021 that all changed when myself and one other colleaugue were basically forced into changing our contract hours. We were the only two still on those hours, so, using COVID as an excuse alongside some others, we were pretty much backed into a corner. If I hadn't of been married, then the outcome would have been far different but it wasn't fair to put the wife through all that.
So now it's 8am-5pm Mon-Fri even in holiday times with some other bits added in which, to be honest, in three years of doing it have amounted to less than a week of overtime. It's sad in some ways as before I would cover weekend functions or put the extra effort into things. The downside for the school is that I am no longer invested in it, I go in, do my job and leave, I don't do alarm call outs (another long story) or cover functions on a weekend day unless deemed to be part of my contractual agreement. I leave at five and forget about the place, as I'm not being paid.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 10:06

as im split shift during term time, i tend to work right through over holidays and half terms thus giving me shorter days. it makes sense as the main reason for starting early in term time is to clean the hall floor and other areas (dont have to do that daily over the holidays) so my days tend to be 8am- 3pm
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 08 10:11

7 - 2 then come back and lock up later when everyone's gone home.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 08 13:48

HarleyPete wrote: 8th Feb 2024 at 5:46am Until 2021, I always worked 9am-4pm Mon-Fri, which, although not actually in my contract, was in force before I even started. As such, this then became what they call "an implied term and condition". Then in 2021 that all changed when myself and one other colleaugue were basically forced into changing our contract hours. We were the only two still on those hours, so, using COVID as an excuse alongside some others, we were pretty much backed into a corner. If I hadn't of been married, then the outcome would have been far different but it wasn't fair to put the wife through all that.
So now it's 8am-5pm Mon-Fri even in holiday times with some other bits added in which, to be honest, in three years of doing it have amounted to less than a week of overtime. It's sad in some ways as before I would cover weekend functions or put the extra effort into things. The downside for the school is that I am no longer invested in it, I go in, do my job and leave, I don't do alarm call outs (another long story) or cover functions on a weekend day unless deemed to be part of my contractual agreement. I leave at five and forget about the place, as I'm not being paid.
I take it you got an increase in pay for the additional 2 hours ?
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 09 07:48

Before i went part time i was 7 - 2 and the cleaners come in 8 - 12. depending on how many hours need doing.

Now i'm part time i open up at 7 do two hours and then come back at 2 to lock up but no teachers are aloud to lone work so if no one is in i lock the school.
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 09 09:55

I used to work silly hours 7.30 - 5.00 just to get jobs done but as your no better thought on do 7.30 - 2.30. The problem arises when contractors are in and work until 4/5 o'clock you feel obelised to do it.
Is it that TIME already
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 08:17

Maverick wrote: 8th Feb 2024 at 1:48pm I take it you got an increase in pay for the additional 2 hours ?
Yeah. It was never going to be enough to cover the amount that I now do. At first they wanted to give us nothing. Even then it has never worked out enough. As I think I said, had I been single it would have been a whole different ball game.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 12 08:26

To clarify, I worked 9-4 in the holidays and 8:30-5 during term time before 2021.This changed to 8-5 all the time, meaning an extra 1/2 hour a day term time and 2 hours a day in holidays.

abcd
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 13 10:13

I'm only contracted to work 8am to 12pm during the holidays and 6:45am to 4:30pm Mon to Thurs and 6:45am to 1pm Fridays term time. When I used to travel in 4 hours seemed a bit pointless but now I live 5 mins walk away from the school it's quite nice to finish early.