POLL: Windows 10 still the most used

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

What operating system do you use on your main computer?

Windows XP
No votes
Windows Vista
No votes
Windows 7
No votes
Windows 8
No votes
Windows 8.1
No votes
Windows 10
50%
Windows 11
50%
Linux
No votes
MAC
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 10

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 14 08:48

POLL: Windows 10 still the most used

Despite the fact that Windows 10 is coming to its end of life, it is still the most used version of Windows by a mile. Thanks to Microsoft restricting what hardware Windows 11 needs to run on, uptake of Windows 11 has been very slow.

Untitled.png

With the uptake of Windows 11 so poor, it seems Microsoft are desperate to get more people to upgrade to Windows 11, a recent Windows Update on Windows 10 is presenting the following screen every time a user boots up.

1.jpg

Microsoft are going to also restrict the next version of Windows (whatever they decide to call it Windows 12, Windows AI or Windows 11.1) the processor will need SSE4.2 which is due sometime this year.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 091019.png

Rumour has it, Microsoft may even produce a Windows 11 light version that doesn't require the TPM2 just to get users off of Windows 10. But it is just a rumour.

Interesting to note that in those stats above, Windows 7 is more popular than Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 which preceded it.

What operating system do you use on your main computer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 14 09:42

Re: POLL: Windows 10 still the most used

When i first got my new lap top it was running on Windows 11 S which was so restrictive on what you could download or add that i turned the option off and just use Windows 11 now which is far less restrictive. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 14 09:53

Works laptop is 11 pro. laptop at home is windows 10..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 14 10:28

I use multiple OS’s but my trusty 12-year-old laptop that I seem to use all the time runs Windows 10 (originally Windows 7). I have a Microsoft Surface Go 2 with Windows 11 in S mode that I use if traveling but I don’t seem to use it that much. I run Linux Mint on a very old laptop that won’t run Windows 10, and have a Raspberry Pi 2 running multiple OS’s that I enjoy messing about with. I started out originally with a desktop machine running Windows NT and have probably used most if not all versions of Windows over the years.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.