Council Tax Bill from over 10 years ago

This is the forum for residential Caretakers. Discuss your rights, Services, Rent, Moving home...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

sunny20
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 19 17:05

Council Tax Bill from over 10 years ago

Hi, I was a School caretaker 2010-2019, lived in the school house on site. I was told at the time I wouldn't pay water, rent or council tax!
Last year 4 years after leaving the property, the local council are now sending me bills for council tax saying I owe over £10.000! I never once received a bill or reminder whilst living there!
School signed the tenancy agreement not myself!
I've explained all this to the council and they are not listening, I cannot afford to pay this, I had to leave the job because of ill health and harassment from the school. I'm now on benefits because of disability!
Anyone else ever been in this situation?
Thank you.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 19 22:40

Re: Council Tax Bill from over 10 years ago

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure one of the members with knowledge of this kind of thing will respond shortly.

Do you have the original agreement in writing? You might need to speak to Citizen's Advice to see how you stand.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 20 07:08

I would suggest that no one here can give any specifics, as frustrating as that may be. You need professional help - citizens advice or a lawyer.
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 20 08:22

I would be seeking legal advice and getting out any old paperwork you have if you kept any for proof of what was agreed at the time. I do remember that at the time of me taking over the school I was at. The retiring caretaker said be careful if you take over the bungalow. Get everything in writing to what you will be charged. I didn't want the bungalow and to be honest it needed to much doing to it. 2 years later it was demolished and the area became a car park
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 20 08:42

Hi im in tied accommodation here, i have a tenancy agreement which outlines what i pay for etc. you may find that CTAX isnt deiscussed as its a seperate thing. You need to find yours with regards to where you stand legally. If council tax is not mentioned then your next step would be citizens advice. Be concious though that you may not get the news you hope for. CTAX is one of them things which we we all have to pay for, no exceptions unless you have written exeption. For example a letter from HMRC/Benefits office. OR a tenancy agreement which specifically makes reference to alternative arrangements
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 20 09:20

Even before single status that ended free rent for me in 2012, i always had to pay for poll tax as it was then council tax, it wasn't part of any tenancy agreement, it just had to be paid. I was in tied accommodation from 1985 until 2021 and the only thing i never paid for was water, every other bill i had to pay. I have never heard of council tax being free as part of a tenancy agreement. I am sorry that this isn't what you want to hear but as has been said, citizens advice and maybe a lawyer to look at your case.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 20 14:44

sunny20 wrote: 19th Feb 2024 at 5:05pm Hi, I was a School caretaker 2010-2019, lived in the school house on site. I was told at the time I wouldn't pay water, rent or council tax!
Last year 4 years after leaving the property, the local council are now sending me bills for council tax saying I owe over £10.000! I never once received a bill or reminder whilst living there!
School signed the tenancy agreement not myself!
I've explained all this to the council and they are not listening, I cannot afford to pay this, I had to leave the job because of ill health and harassment from the school. I'm now on benefits because of disability!
Anyone else ever been in this situation?
Thank you.
take a look at this article. Don't know if it will help

Clicky
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 20 15:34

I think I'm mainly going to repeat what others have said. Your best bet is Citizen's Advice , in the first instance. I don't think many solicitors will have much more knowledge about council tax than the man on the street, as it is very niche. If CA do not know the answer I am sure that they will have established lines of communication to determine the validity of the bill.

I don't think the fact that you did not sign the tenancy agreement is useful to you as you lived in the accommodation so you essentially accepted the content of the tenancy agreement.

If you have anything in writing from the school to say that you would not be liable to pay council tax, then this would be useful if it is proven that the debt is valid. (Also, were you the sole adult for any of the period charged and eligible for a 25% discount?)

When you go to Citizen's Advice ask them what happens, in your circumstances, if the debt proves to be valid. CA will advise you further but I would imagine that the Council will only be able to claim a small monthly payment if your accepted outgoings, exceed your income. It is possible that they may not be able to claim anything. They will be well-versed in dealing with this scenario.

Good luck!
sunny20
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 22:05

thecaretaker wrote: 19th Feb 2024 at 10:40pm Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure one of the members with knowledge of this kind of thing will respond shortly.

Do you have the original agreement in writing? You might need to speak to Citizen's Advice to see how you stand.
Thankyou.
sunny20
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 22:07

eebagum wrote: 20th Feb 2024 at 8:22am I would be seeking legal advice and getting out any old paperwork you have if you kept any for proof of what was agreed at the time. I do remember that at the time of me taking over the school I was at. The retiring caretaker said be careful if you take over the bungalow. Get everything in writing to what you will be charged. I didn't want the bungalow and to be honest it needed to much doing to it. 2 years later it was demolished and the area became a car park
Thankyou for your help, I was never given any paper work, the school produced a tenancy agreement to the council that wasn't signed by me.