Contract/notice period

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

JonOfham
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 20 19:35

Contract/notice period

Hi all,
Just wondering what notice period other site managers on here have to give?

When I started my job it was 3 months, which always made me anxious...then in December I found out they'd all changed to 1 month in September (new principal), but I hadn't actually been given mine to sign. So I hastily made sure I did. Anyway....then January comes and they decide that all tutors and management should go back to 3 months. I can understand tutors, but all other support staff have remained at 1 month. I definitely don't get paid management wages and only line manage the cook/cleaner, but because my title has "manager" in it they're including me.
I don't want to stay in education and have been looking for something else, so when I was asked to sign it I refused, saying that no prospective employer would wait 3 months. I was told "oh we won't expect you to actually give 3 months", but that's not good enough once I've actually signed to say I will.
So I am sticking to my guns since as far as I'm aware, the worst they could do is "fire and rehire", but that would completely defeat the object as they would potentially still only get 1 months notice and then if I did stay, that would leave me with 6 months of only having to give a weeks notice. Although part of me doesn't actually care anyway as it could be the boot up the rear I need to find something else.

Any thoughts? I'm not a union member so don't say "speak to your union". [Wink.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 20 20:48

Re: Contract/notice period

Ex site manager of a small primary school. My contract was for 28 days notice should I leave. 28 days given and that's what they got. Yes they did at one point try to change it. But I stood my ground like you. Best thing I ever did was get out of school life.
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 07:10

Mine at the moment is 3 months but when it suits they get rid of you sooner so it should work both ways, but it doesn't.
Last year they were willing to given me 3 months notice but i leave straight away.

Union wasn't much help for me.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 21 07:37

4 weeks here for me.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 07:46

interesting- LA school, HT 2 terms, CO's 1 term, except for the BM (think it's 1 term) all others 1 month I think?
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 07:49

One Month for me in line with working one Month in lieu of pay.

Curious to know though, if their policy is "you wouldn't be expected to work it" then why want you to go back to 3 months when one suffices.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 21 07:51

4 weeks. Not often I see the three month one for support staff. Usually a teacher one ie. 1 term notice.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 07:52

I am on 4 weeks at the moment.
I am changing to term time only in the summer and the standard notice for new contract will be 6 weeks.
I can understand the 3 month notice with teachers, but for general support staff In my opinion is excessive, and will make a role harder to recruit for in the long run.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 08:49

1 month for me.

Were you consulted about the changes to the contract? did you have a chance to ask questions or seek advice before being asked to sign a new agreement?

If they fire you for not signing the new contract then there may be grounds for unfair dismissal.

Speak to your union if you have one, I'm sure this won't be the first time they will have dealt with things like this.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 09:01

I would simply say that you have sought advice and, you have been told, that the proposed notice period is not commensurate with the grade.