Contract/notice period

Chat about Contracts, Job descriptions, Pay scale, Unions, Holiday entitlement, Appraisals...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 09:23

Re: Contract/notice period

12 Weeks for me.
Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 09:25

Unless someone's changed it without telling me??? it's 4 weeks for me.
Valar Morghulis
Stay Safe, Stay Daft...
Embrace The Chaos
Football Is Life.... Dani Rojas
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 21 10:39

Private school, really people un-friendly management at the end, and after almost 30 years there, I was still on just 4 weeks notice.
Which was absolutely marvellous as newest head did her best to get rid of me, and many other long term employees, and when it got so bad I couldn't cope anymore, I gave four weeks notice and left at the end of term, just as the school broke up for --- (The seasonal word only permitted in December) ---.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 21 15:23

I am on 4 weeks but I'll give them 6 months notice when I retire.

It is worth remembering that you accrue annual leave for your notice period and it is good to either take your entitlement o request that it is paid, if it cannot be taken. Most payroll functions are not sophisticated enough to know your entitlements and annual leave accrued from the pervious leave year.

If you ever leave after a period of ill health, remember that you accrue annual leave for the entire period, that will need paying.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 22 16:36

funny enough I only asked this question a week ago 4 weeks, I was told it goes on pay grade .been a minion that's 4 weeks for me was going to wait for the big holidays but think we will be gone well before [Like.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 22 20:40

Mine is 4 weeks like most on here. It seems completely pointless of them to want you to sign it if they don't plan on enforcing it so I'm not sure I would trust them. I understand why teachers and SLT are a term/three months as that is standard, but makes it difficult for support staff who want to change careers as, as you say, no employer is going to wait three months.

I did see one school recently advertising a site controller job that stated a terms notice, I just imagine wanting to move on in July and being told you are stuck there until December.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 22 22:29

Mine was 4 weeks. I was on sick leave when i handed in my notice. I couldn't have done another days work for the awful people in charge
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 23 08:16

magpie wrote: 22nd Feb 2024 at 10:29pm Mine was 4 weeks. I was on sick leave when i handed in my notice. I couldn't have done another days work for the awful people in charge
In my last line of work I worked one week in hand and was paid weekly therefore I assumed that I had to give one weeks notice. Like Magpie said, I was on the sick with a work related injury when i applied for this position. I applied, was offered it and accepted it and a start date decided upon.
When I went to my former employer and gave notice I was told it had to be 6 weeks. [Confused.png] .

I guess that by being on the Caretakers website you know what the answer was. [Wink.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Frankle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 23 09:56

4 weeks for me too, paid monthly so 1 months notice
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Feb 2024 23 12:06

Its 4 weeks for me in my current position, but my previous role it was 8 weeks.