Car Security

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 26 17:17

Car Security

I've just read a news report in the Guardian that claims there is a new method of stealing cars. I was previously aware that thieves can use a laptop to detect the signal from your keys and I always keep my keys in a Faraday pouch and while at home also in a Faraday lined box. But apparently, they don't need to do that now. It says "The device, known as an “emulator”, works by intercepting the signal from the car, which is scanning for the presence of a legitimate key." It says that thieves no longer need to work in pairs and can use the emulator device disguised as a small handheld games consoles. It takes less that 20 seconds to open the door and turn on the car.

The article highlights a Hyundai Ioniq 5 theft which was caught on CCTV by a single person in less than 20 seconds.
I usually take what newspapers print with a pinch of salt, but it has made me think about my own car security.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/ ... -arms-race

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/34817/thi ... ing-tetris
They are not cheap at £20,000+ but how many cars can a professional criminal knock off and sell on. They would soon make that up.

I read about it on this forum: https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads ... ach.74382/

https://www.ax-uk.com/news/nintendo-gam ... yless-cars

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 26 17:34

Re: Car Security

I've gone for one of these with 130db Alarm. Not fool proof, but might put off all but the hardened criminal.

429908420_1176295260413550_3209886777575799702_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 26 17:47

I made sure my 2nd hand car wasn`t keyless entry, still have to press a button [Big grin.png] and I put a steering wheel lock on, won`t stop a determined thieve but they might look for easier pickings!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 26 17:50

Seems like its an Hyundai issue.
But the video only showed the thief getting in the car not approaching it or any device he had. hardly compelling evidence.

This is the problem with technology, there is always someone smarter who will defeat systems for nefarious uses.
I find it funny that we are still using car security devices that were used back in the 1970's with todays ultra complicated cars.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 27 00:07

Admittedly, there are numerous steering wheel devices available but after spending time looking into them, many have their drawbacks.

Many have flimsy keys that break, combination locks that fail and mechanisms that can jam. Many are very heavy and not easy to attach or store away. BUT, if one does fail, it can cost you a fortune to get it removed and you'll probably need a replacement steering wheel.

Many cost £15 - £25 and to be honest, you get what you pay for.

At the other extreme, there are the Disklok type that are apparently recommended by the Police but they are £150 upwards and are huge to store away.

So, the one I have ordered is a T-Bar type that claims to have sturdy keys/lock and the only negative comment about it is it gets very hot if left in the sun during summer months. It cost £50 from Amazon.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 27 07:25

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 27 08:51

Nail wrote: 27th Feb 2024 at 7:25am Looks a bit easy to break!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wPKEbY-go
Awesome job. I take it the thief is relying on you going away for two weeks. Either that or you are a deep sleeper.

I liked the way he said on the first item that it would be easy.

Who would want to steal that anyway? [Crazy.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 27 10:08

I think if they have targeted your car they will get it whatever prevention measures you take [Disappointment.png]

I spoke with a Mini E owner last year, I commented on how clean his car was. He told me its brand new and he picked it up a few days ago, it was a replacement for another Mini stolen 9 months earlier. He parked in a supermarket car park locked the car and went inside. He claimed he was only in there for around 15 minutes but when he came out his Mini was gone. They never found the Mini and it was assumed his key fob was cloned.

With the often 3 months wait on replacement parts a business model has presented itself, so the black market has come up with a solution.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 27 10:17

I think with most of these steering wheel devices they act more as a visual deterrent. I'm sure any device can be removed if the thief has the right tools. The first thing most thieves do apparently is remove the tracker on company cars. Most modern cars have a built in SIM card allowing the owner to track and communicate with the car via an app. That has to be removed too. I'm sure the 'Professional' (dare I call them that) car thief would know how to do all that. I guess at the end of the day you just have to hope it isn't your car that gets picked on.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 27 10:50

The steering wheel lock I have was given good reviews and is bright yellow, it`s a visual deterrent hopefully saying move along and find an easier car to nick!
Never trust a steering lock on a motorbike, sharply pull on the handlebars and they snap! I always put a heavy duty disc lock on my bike, again a deterrent, left for any length of time (rare) heavy chain and padlock through the rear wheel as well.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch