Hello!

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Freshface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Feb 2024 29 21:01

Hello!

Hi all,
I have been a caretaker for just over a year now and am loving every moment of it. I was just curious about the job, what is the rough age/ time
spent in this job? I, myself am in my early twenties and am hoping that this will be the job that I retire with (eventually [Big grin.png] )
Nearly Friday so keep on going!
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 29 21:18

Re: Hello!

Welcome.

I started in my late 20’s.
Made redundant in my mid 50’s.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 21:35

Welcome aboard [Like.png]
I started as an assistant in a large comprehensive school when I was 25, and retired as a site manager at 66
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2024 29 21:38

Welcome to the forum Freshface.

I find that a bit sad that you are in your 20's and yet you hope you'll be in the same job until retirement. I wish I was 20 again and know what I know now. The world is your oyster, get out there and enjoy it to the full. Life is so short. You only realise that when you get old. Whoosh and it's gone. [Like.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2024 29 21:41

Welcome, i started as an assistant aged 21 and finished as a Site Manager at 62. Glad you are enjoying it, some of us older ones became very disallusioned with it by the time we finished.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 01 07:24

Started as a Site Manager after finishing my CT apprenticeship at 20 - 29 now.
silleyanimal
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 07:36

Hi , started as assistant in high school age 18. Now 58 site manager primary. [Like.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 07:41

Welcome.

Started as caretaker coming up to 13 years ago at the age of 26. Now Site Manager at a Junior School after leaving my previous post of 12 years in September.

There are good days, and there are bad (some really bad) but as long as you're enjoying it, that's all that matters.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 08:13

Welcome,
Be persistent and get the job you want then keep learning and other opportunities will appear. please don't think that this job is one for life as unfortunately in todays world, it isn't.

You will always ne a number to the corporate structure (including schools) and replaceable at the drop of a hat, so follow your dreams and do what YOU want to do.
Good luck. [Like.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 01 08:20

Freshface wrote: 29th Feb 2024 at 9:01pm Hi all,
I have been a caretaker for just over a year now and am loving every moment of it. I was just curious about the job, what is the rough age/ time
spent in this job? I, myself am in my early twenties and am hoping that this will be the job that I retire with (eventually [Big grin.png] )
Nearly Friday so keep on going!
im 40 now... and been at my current school for 3 years.

i was at my last school for 11years so like you i started in my late 20's. and again like you, i see myself doing this job for the rest of my working life. On the whole its still a good little number, its been squeezed and the perks of yesteryear have all but gone but the school environment and the day to day nature of the job makes it worthwhile. I love the fact that you can be a plumber one day, a builder the next- a PAT tester the day ofter that, followed by a painter, woodworker, carpet/floor fitter, groundsman, gardener, cleaner etc. Sometimes, if you find a decent HT they let you get involved with the school day too and run things like clubs
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]