Gone without a trace

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 29 22:05

Gone without a trace

I've been searching Google for a company called Stills. Stills Of Hastings. They made fixed gas boilers that provided boiling water for teas and coffee. It had a steam jet for making frothy coffee in cafes. Espresso type machines. They were around until the early 80's.

Almost every cafe in the land had a Still (as we called them) and was proud that you could travel the land and go into a cafe to see the label "Stills Of Hastings".

The name Stills was as common as Judges of Hastings the seaside postcard maker who are still going although under a new company.

I remember going on holiday to Scotland as a young boy and the cafe had a still on the counter and a Judges of Hastings postcard display beside it. Made me long to be home again.

But no matter how much I've searched, I can find nothing about the history or any photos of Stills Of Hastings. It is as though they have become lost in the annuals of time. Maybe you might have some better luck? The factory that made them was situated off the Broomgrove Estate next to Ore power station. Maybe the Stills Boiler was called something else in other parts of the country. But in my young teen years working in seasonal cafes, we just called them the Stills Boiler.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Feb 2024 29 22:33

Re: Gone without a trace

OK, found them eventually. Should have searched for W.M.Stills and Sons Ltd

These bring back memories...

s-l400.jpg
zwIRqw7NvRlnFQ10H9RZ.Q.webp
Coffee_maker,_WM_Still_&_Sons_Ltd_London_EC1.jpg
360_f61f27650930768f3e155d4203b10992.jpg
Screenshot 2024-02-29 222833.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)