Work Permit for each job?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Fw18
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 21:34

Work Permit for each job?

Hi all,
I am reviewing paperwork and procedures. At present regular contractors come and go as they please. For example the local electrician will pop out after hours, replace a broken power socket or light then go again.

My question is, do you have contractors fill in work permits for every visit, location, work undertaken etc? If so, what do you do with this data and forms?

Cheers
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 22:42

Re: Work Permit for each job?

It really depends on what you school contractors on site policy says…? What is expected and what they are doing on site.
For us all “regular” contractors are held on the SCR (Single Central Record). This holds all relevant documentation and information on that contractor.
Things such as the asbestos registered are completed as a matter of course. Again it really depends on what they are doing, hot works and such need a permit.
Fw18
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 22:45

What do you hold on the SCR?
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 05 22:51

Public liability Insurance, DBS roll numbers and safeguarding policy. Sure there is something else but can’t think of it… [Shock.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 07:39

Fire proceedures and always get them to sign the Asbestos register.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 06 16:34

Our office hold the DBS details for all contractors visiting us, unless it's a one off then they are chaperoned.
I issue an induction pack, code of conduct and asbestos register to them, ensure we have up to date RAMS and insurance (I get them to complete a risk assessment if it deviates from theirs, or their's hasn't been submitted), and then get them to sign a doc received/issued form for the folder.
All is filed, and reviewed every 12 months. All this seems to satisfy the LA and governors if they enquire.
I don't have a general work permit for works, but do use a hot work permit.
If they are SLA contractors from Robertson FM, or employed by our buildings consultant/architect, then all documents are held by them.
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.