Hammock at playtime

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 07:24

Hammock at playtime

Ive been asked to hang a hammock for use at playtime. Im rather hesitant to do this for a number of obvious reasons, but not totally against the idea as we implement OPAL here and are taught to look for the benefits and conduct a risk benefits analysis... Ive checked out a few sample RA's online with regards to controls etc, My biggest concern atm is that it will be misused as a plaything and not supervised correctly.

here are the controls i have considered atm:

Hammocks are to be used for relaxation time and not to be used as a piece of playground equipment
Children to be shown the correct technique for mounting, dismounting and use of the hammocks
Only one child at a time to use the hammocks
Hammock to be set no higher than no higher than 45 cm off the ground for children to reduce the risk of injury
Ground area is free of debris, exposed roots, branches and onto soft surface
Hammocks must be used only if weather conditions are good: They must not be used in wet or icy conditions
No tricks, such as flipping, jumping or standing
Hammock NEEDS to be inspected byu an adult before use- checking for fraying of rope, tears, cuts, obvious damage and Slackness in Ropes
Trees to be inspected before use: ensure they are healthy and there are no dead limbs that could potentially break off.
Hammocks to be set up prior to use and dismantled after use- this is to prevent unauthorised and unsupervised use
Maximum participant weight: 15 stone/95 kg
Hammocks to be set up in a clear area, not cutting across any main footpaths. Bystanders are to be told to keep clear of the hammocks if they wander too close
Healthy trees with a circumference of between 1m and 1.8m Anchor trees are to be used as anchors. This measurement will allow for the above weight proposals

Anyone else operat OPAL at their school or forrest school? have you been faced with this dilemma? any advice is appreciated
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 07:42

Re: Hammock at playtime

To some extent the equipment for opal is meant to be "misused" that is the method of play based learning.
We have opal here and I have been asked to do several things that ordinarily I would have thought too much risk, but as the lead opal playworker is responsible for the children during opal then I just do it anyway.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 10:58

Gazza wrote: 8th Mar 2024 at 7:24am Ive been asked to hang a hammock for use at playtime. Im rather hesitant to do this for a number of obvious reasons, but not totally against the idea as we implement OPAL here and are taught to look for the benefits and conduct a risk benefits analysis... Ive checked out a few sample RA's online with regards to controls etc, My biggest concern atm is that it will be misused as a plaything and not supervised correctly.

here are the controls i have considered atm:

Hammocks are to be used for relaxation time and not to be used as a piece of playground equipment - until there’s a queue with kids shouting “my turn”
Children to be shown the correct technique for mounting, dismounting and use of the hammocks - which most will totally disregard
Only one child at a time to use the hammocks - good luck with that
Hammock to be set no higher than no higher than 45 cm off the ground for children to reduce the risk of injury
Ground area is free of debris, exposed roots, branches and onto soft surface
Hammocks must be used only if weather conditions are good: They must not be used in wet or icy conditions - will be used in any weather
No tricks, such as flipping, jumping or standing - it WILL be used as a swing and to perform gymnastic dismounts
Hammock NEEDS to be inspected byu an adult before use- checking for fraying of rope, tears, cuts, obvious damage and Slackness in Ropes - OPAL playworkers being the responsible adults, however it’ll last a couple of weeks then end up in your hands
Trees to be inspected before use: ensure they are healthy and there are no dead limbs that could potentially break off.
Hammocks to be set up prior to use and dismantled after use- this is to prevent unauthorised and unsupervised use - will last a week then they’ll be left out
Maximum participant weight: 15 stone/95 kg - a number of kids will ‘test’ this weight
Hammocks to be set up in a clear area, not cutting across any main footpaths. Bystanders are to be told to keep clear of the hammocks if they wander too close
Healthy trees with a circumference of between 1m and 1.8m Anchor trees are to be used as anchors. This measurement will allow for the above weight proposals

Anyone else operat OPAL at their school or forrest school? have you been faced with this dilemma? any advice is appreciated
We’ve got OPAL destruction here, and whilst we’ve no hammocks, I’ve put a comment next to some of your controls as to what I think would realistically happen here
PAUL.C
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 11:08

We are introducing Opal very soon. Up to yet I've not been involved with it so hope it stays that way.
Is it that TIME already
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 12:07

I think a hammock would be a bad idea. Too much scope for a child to get trapped in the fittings. Even though its low down and "supervised" there will be an increased amount of kids banging heads etc.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 14:37

What's OPAL? Not heard of that.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 15:21

ElGuapo wrote: 8th Mar 2024 at 2:37pm What's OPAL? Not heard of that.
remeber when you were kids and you would go down to the local woods and turn junk into dens and play equipment?

It's that basically. free play with stuff like tyre pallets planks and such forth..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 23:52

I would use the killer rabbit response from the Camelot committee in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, " run away, run away, run away....."
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 09 09:21

I’m a firm believer in letting children tough it out, I believe it builds confidence pain tolerance and fear thresholds. It didn’t do me much harm, I soon learnt what hurt and what was dangerous. I fell off a few walls and from trees, suffered stinging nettle pain grazed knees and elbows many times, but I’m still here.
When the playground supervisors decide enough is enough, the hammock will be permanently stored in a shed somewhere [Scared.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 08:22

Thanks for your feedback all......

email those concerned with my concerns and the proposed controls should they wish to go ahead. its up to them to let me know if they want me to go ahead with this now. Done all i can
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]