Graffiti Proof formica

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 09:32

Graffiti Proof formica

OK,
so I currently have an issue with graffiti of sorts. Our girls toilets are the usual formica type construction cubicles. originally these were bright yellow and red but have been overpainted in fashionable grey!!

My issue is that the little darlings are scratching off the paint, leaving bright yellow profanities showing through the grey. No matter how many times I paint over the navvy esque scrawls, more appears. The HT now refers to the walls as obscene publications. His idea was to cover the cubicles in fablon. My argument is that the children will just pick it off and ... i will need 58 rolls to complete the job.

Any recommendations or ideas on how I can seal or cover these surfaces to stop the scratching etc. Cost is an issue so i need to bear that in mind when i go to the BM with my shopping list !!

BTW this is a primary school. My previous career was 27 years in the Army and let me tell you, these kids could give any squaddie a run for their money when it comes to swear words !!!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 10:18

Re: Graffiti Proof formica

Replacing the cubicles will your only realistic option, anything else will be defaced too easily.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 12:16

Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the paint and go back to the original colour?. Like vera says any covering will be picked off and a complete waste of time and money. With the original surface you can at least wipe it down and get rid of the swear words.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 08 14:10

grimoopnorth wrote: 8th Mar 2024 at 12:16pm Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the paint and go back to the original colour?
I would also go with this solution unless what's underneath is in worse condition.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 08 14:46

grimoopnorth wrote: 8th Mar 2024 at 12:16pm Wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the paint and go back to the original colour?. Like vera says any covering will be picked off and a complete waste of time and money. With the original surface you can at least wipe it down and get rid of the swear words.
no idea what state it is underneath - it was painted over before my time ( I've been here four years)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 08 15:11

I remember as a try out having one of our toilet blocks treated with an anti-graffiti spray covering. It obviously didn’t prevent the graffiti, but it was a bit easier to remove. After around 2 years the covering wore away in the most graffitied locations, so we considered it a waste of time and money.
I got to know my paint brushes and rollers very well after that… [Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 08 19:27

What about clear Perspex? You could repaint each side and bolt on the Perspex to both sides of the cubicles. You then have anti vandal easy clean [Thumb_up.png]
Dean 08
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 08 23:08

As a first salvo, I would strip away the paint. The original surface can't be scratched away like an Etch-a-Sketch, solving that problem.
Then, as a second attack, you could try Coo-Var P101 Anti-Graffiti Coating (or something similar due to this product now requiring training, and is supposedly for professional use only).
There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 08:45

My first thought was to remove the existing paint to leave the original bright yellow anti graffiti Formica.
But this wouldn't be anti-graffiti, as evidenced by the grey paint sticking to the surfaces.

You could try resurfacing the cubicles with new Formica, using a contact adhesive and trimming off the edges(like a kitchen fitter would).

Or like Vera suggested, replace the cubicles. I did 2 toilet blocks this year, keep the sanitaryware just replace doors, cubicles and wall panels.
Ours cost £7000 + my time, far cheaper than the huge quotes local trades wanted to charge.
PRINGLES - 'once you pop, you can't stop'

Why do them come with re-sealable lids?