What does your day look like?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 09 13:05

What does your day look like?

Just wondering on what your day looks like?
I currently work in an ‘Independent’ school as a caretaker and due to the lack of any real pay progression, I am looking at other options.
Thought I would test the water and applied for an academy school within a trust and was offered an interview but withdrew as it didn’t feel the right fit.
However another opportunity has raised itself at a local authority school (Newcastle city council) and I have an interview next week with a first school as a Facilities Manager.
However, knowledge is power so just curious on what a day looks like in a state school.

As it goes, my day looks like this - doing early shifts at moment, as we have a late shift caretaker (next job will be split shifts).

Open buildings (5 buildings at the moment over a 1/2 mile area).
Fire and safety walk - checking fire routes, emergency lighting, exits and fire extinguishers.
An inspection (Mondays pipe flush, Tues gym checks etc)
Traffic management for an hour as restricted access to the school.
Cup of coffee…
Check of emails and help calls to check the day.
Another inspection.
Complete a help call.
Lunch.
Help call like leaf blow or litter pick.
Prepare tomorrow.
Finish.

Day kind of repeats itself with changes to inspections and help calls/email requests.

So just wondering what your day looks like?
Anyone wish to share.
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 09 13:36

Re: What does your day look like?

I get up.
Put the kettle on.
Make a cuppa.
Go back to bed.
I get up.
Have breakfast.
Go for a swim ( depending on tide times ).
Have a shower.
Go to cafe for a coffee and watch the seals swim in the harbour.
Have lunch.
Snooze.
Go for a walk.
Prepare evening meal for the wife and I.
Sit on the balcony and look at the caretakers website on my tablet.
Have evening meal.
Washing up.
Then it’s time to relax and do nothing.
Off to bed now after a tiring day. [Sleepy.png] [Sleepy.png] [Sleepy.png] .
Repeat.
wake me up before you gogo.
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 09 13:44

lol.
Guessing you are enjoying retirement.
Well played sir
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 09 13:50

Better at a local authority school than any kind of Academy in my opinion
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 09 14:09

That was my thoughts.
I currently work at a private school, have the interview at a local authority primary school but just curious on what the normal day looks like as I have only been a caretaker for a couple of years and I do like my job but money just isn’t paying what I feel is my worth so looking at options. Not hiding anything, my bosses know I am not happy with the pay progression and I am actively looking and they fully understand why so no issues there.
This Facilities Manager is a posh way of saying caretaker but the money is enough to tempt me into changing.
I like to do my research and money isn’t everything I turned down more money to take the job I currently have.
I would be interested in seeing how others go about their normal day and any possible pitfalls into moving to a local authority school.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 10 01:57

It's not necessarily a bed of roses at LA schools. I have been short of cleaners for a year and while the management makes pretty much zero effort to recruit replacements, I have had to take on over 3 hours extra cleaning every night. This means I have almost no time to get anything else done and now I have to get my union in because the head is actively trying to get rid of me. Apparently I am not "meeting expectations" as it is taking me "too long" to get other things done as I obviously only have the mornings to do all the statutory testing and repairs etc. done. I have still managed to recently complete some projects that contractors quoted an absolute fortune for but whatever I do is never enough.

The other school jobs around all seem to be rubbish part-time, barely above minimum wage, or come up repeatedly every few months. So I am only applying for jobs outside education and can't wait to see the back of it, frankly. Definitely not the job it was even a few years ago.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 10 10:00

Started out as a structured day, but then the nature of the job took over and various emergencies and interruptions occurred, so it was mostly different but the same.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 10 14:09

Keyolder wrote: 10th Mar 2024 at 10:00am Started out as a structured day, but then the nature of the job took over and various emergencies and interruptions occurred, so it was mostly different but the same.
Spot on👍
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 07:08

I work a split shift 6.30-9.55 14.00-18.00

AM
unlock building all internal/external doors
site check and grounds check
BREW
check fire evac routes
8.45 unlock gates 9.05 lock gates

then in with that depending on what day and week it is assembly set up, lost property set up, second hand uniform set up, mop hard standing floors.
and the endless snag list/repairs list...and anything of ''urgency'' that comes up that day.

PM
check grounds, paths and playgrounds remove litter
check all external bins empty changes bags if needed
14.55 open gates 15.30 close

15.00 onwards standard cleaning duties 6 classrooms hover, mop and wipe tables mop corridors.
this is 9/10 interrupted and has to be finished the following morning its all catch up.

I have worked my current job 3 years been in schools as a caretaker/site manager over 10 and the jobs getting harder and harder not the work mind but the job the goal posts are constantly moved expectations are more and more with time being the same and staff on the ground being thin...patience is an absolute must in this role.
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 07:24

Keyolder wrote: 10th Mar 2024 at 10:00am Started out as a structured day, but then the nature of the job took over and various emergencies and interruptions occurred, so it was mostly different but the same.
This, I had learnt after about a year that the only time I was going home in a bad mood was the days that I had made a plan for what I wanted to do that day. I have tasks I have to do every week but honestly only a few of them are in a concrete timeframe of getting done... I mean we should be running on 4 cleaners but currently have 1, so any free time I would have had in the mornings or afternoon I've got a mop in my hands
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing