Different names

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 07:53

Re: Different names

You can pretty much call yourself which ever name you wish but ultimately its the same job..

I am happy to be called whatever people want to say but caretaker does seem to sum up the role quite nicely.
I have no problem with being called the caretaker (I actually prefer it) some of the other names are a bit corporate and pretentious.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 07:56

Yep caretaker for me .

When you have your arm around an S bend on a Friday afternoon I wouldn't feel like a manager...lol
Twodogs
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 11 09:18

In the time I've worked in schools I've been assistant caretaker, Caretaker, Premises Manager, Site Manager. The only different one was assistant caretaker. I didn't have the responsibilities as I do now but all the others the job's were exactly the same. The Premise Manager title was a joke due to the Trust I worked for. It would seem everyone was given a posh title to make it more appealing to get people to apply for jobs.

I don't mind being called either Caretaker or Site Manager my job title here is Site Manager.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 11 09:22

AlboUnderhill wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 7:37am I'm a site manager but they could call me Marvin the Martian for all I care, just as long as I get paid on time [Big grin.png]
I sometimes jokingly referred to myself in school as Marvin the paranoid android from the Douglas Addams book and BBC series, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
“Here I am with brain the size of a small planet, and all they want me to do is open and close a door” " Dont panic"... [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 09:44

Eddy wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 7:37am We are a site team!

I am the premises manager, my colleague is the caretaker.

If some one asks if i am the caretaker i just say yes.

Call me what you like, i get paid to get the job done. Title is largely irrelevant
Yep, same here!
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 09:47

Had loads of different names/job titles. Don’t really care to be honest.
The worst one though was Site Services Officer. SS Officer for short! [Scared.png]
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Frankle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 10:53

Started as a Caretaker job title changed to Site Manager after a couple of years. Doesn't matter and I don't care what they call me I am still the same worthless piece of poo who is here for everybody
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 12 09:31

A documentary was being filmed at our school around 10 years ago. Not sure what it was for I don’t think it’s ever been shown anywhere, at least I’ve never seen it?

They were filming outside early on a bright sunny the morning, I was litter picking by the school entrance at the time. Two of the office ladies entered through the school gates and jokingly shouted over to me, good morning, you’ve missed a bit, thanks yes good morning I replied.

After doing my stint at gate duty I was locking the school gates aware that the film crew were filming me. Excuse me Mr Bit one of the film crew called over, could you face the camera while locking the gates?

Every time I saw the film crew after that they would address me as Mr Bit, I didn’t have the heart to tell them that was not my name…
[Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 13 07:42

i started as caretaker and now they call me site manager, but i prefer caretaker.
we also have an estates manager who is supposed to over see all the schools and arranged builds, checks, training etc.
Doesn't make any difference to me.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 13 08:20

I don't like being called Caretaker- why? because some say, "oh you're only the caretaker" and then consider it belittling. Yes we are all the same, and if they only knew many of us do have a sound education and save their butts often with solutions to even the basic things. I prefer to be called MR CARETAKER [Big grin.png] As has been mentioned before, the title can open up visions of what ONE caretaker did, and to the old school, brown coat, broom and a brew type person.
I also say that I wear a high vis top so I can't be seen [Wink.png] , why do I say that, because it's amazing how some make you feel invisible when you wear one- rant over.