Cladding

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 11 13:20

Cladding

Hi all, the corridor walls here are just getting battered. I painted some last year and they were trashed within a term. Now, our MAT have gotten a bee in their bonnet because they saw some scuffed walls on their last tour around the school.

I'm fed up of painting only to see people literally walking up the hallway with a marker drawing on the wall, so, has anyone cladded their walls with the PVC wall panels such as ALTRO White rock or cheaper alternatives? If so, doable as a one man band? Any suppliers you would recommend?
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 14:31

Re: Cladding

the cost is going to be the limiting factor.

Whiterock averaages £100/sheet and is approx 3M x 1M.
so will work out about £100/m for a 3M high wall. on top of that, the adhesive and joints bump the cost too.
the main corridor here is 77m. so to do both sides comes in over £14k. not including labour
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 14:50

Eddy wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 2:31pm the cost is going to be the limiting factor.

Whiterock averaages £100/sheet and is approx 3M x 1M.
so will work out about £100/m for a 3M high wall. on top of that, the adhesive and joints bump the cost too.
the main corridor here is 77m. so to do both sides comes in over £14k. not including labour
Sure is. We're in a lucky position that we have some money tucked away for this sort of thing - I reckon I could clad half of the wall height which would be about primary child height and it would make a huge difference. Looking at their install how-to, they use an adhesive that is trowelled on, not too bad, but probably just as easily stuck on with mastic or even screws with caps on. plenty to mull over!
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 15:16

I don't know much about this cladding but, if the corridor is part of a fire escape route, I would be wary about introducing something combustible to the walls.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 15:28

Dexter wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 3:16pm I don't know much about this cladding but, if the corridor is part of a fire escape route, I would be wary about introducing something combustible to the walls.
The fire rating is class 1 for Whiterock which is fine in a corridor if fixed to a non combustible wall. It is certified for use in kitchens etc.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 16:38

Yeah, we have it. It’s great.

It’s not as expensive as Eddy suggests. You don’t clad the whole height of the wall. Just go to head height. Have a look at cladding monkey.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 16:39

Dexter wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 3:16pm I don't know much about this cladding but, if the corridor is part of a fire escape route, I would be wary about introducing something combustible to the walls.
It’s not a risk and we actually had some installed so it wasn’t a fire risk!
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 11 18:25

We have it in the washrooms- looks great at first, but if they scuff it (and I mean not just a black mark) then it will remain "scratched". I would suggest a decent hard wearing paint over panelling. Plus, when they don't like it in a few months/years then it won't be easy to remove.
I've seen aluminium panelling like in a commercial kitchen????
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 09:29

twiglets wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 6:25pm We have it in the washrooms- looks great at first, but if they scuff it (and I mean not just a black mark) then it will remain "scratched". I would suggest a decent hard wearing paint over panelling. Plus, when they don't like it in a few months/years then it won't be easy to remove.
I've seen aluminium panelling like in a commercial kitchen????
The scuffing is something I have thought about.

Our eggshell paint isn't holding up to it, and Dulux diamond paint hasn't either. We're a very busy, very disregulated bunch here.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 09:35

Nail wrote: 11th Mar 2024 at 4:38pm Yeah, we have it. It’s great.

It’s not as expensive as Eddy suggests. You don’t clad the whole height of the wall. Just go to head height. Have a look at cladding monkey.
That's my thinking. finger marks above are a doddle. it's the scuffs, the pen, etc that is generally 5ish ft and below that cause issues.