H&S checklist for classrooms

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 08:05

H&S checklist for classrooms

Hi I plan on putting together a Health & Safety checklist handout that will be given to each teacher for their classroom the intention being that I can then streamline the jobs that come in prioritising them into term and out of term jobs as opposed to the current system where job come in --- censored word --- nilly on post stick notes, emails and word of mouth. The idea is for each teacher/class to have it back to me before the summer holidays with it then becoming a annual hand out each school year. (also ill be letting each class teacher know their responsibility they like to throw the H&S card around a lot but don't take much care of it themselves)

what system do you guys have in place have to tried anything like this any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 08:24

Re: H&S checklist for classrooms

It won't work mate,
There will always be those CO's who will think that they won't need to bother as it doesn't affect them or they will not think and just dump a load of jobs on you at the end of term (usually as they leave out the door)

Best bet is to have some formal way of reporting all jobs whether that be paper email or a system such as Every. you can then sift through the jobs to decide for yourself which will take priority. This "system" is a good way for SLT to measure your effectiveness as well so get them on board with the idea so the CO's have no choice but to use it as it is an order from above..
This type of system also allows you to conveniently forget those jobs for pain in the *** teachers who will never use "the system" and will just shout jobs at you from down the corridor. [Like.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 08:29

Is this a once a year thing?
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 08:30

at my previous school the all jobs were log online then the Site Manager organised them through the week and we were handed a printed snag list Mondays everything on a week long back log and it was like clockwork here its as you said mostly dropped on you verbally last minute when your busy or left on my desk on random scraps of paper and it just doesn't work.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 08:38

Nail wrote: 12th Mar 2024 at 8:29am Is this a once a year thing?
yes, I plan on also using day to day list in the main office that can be managed on a weekly basis but the idea behind the end of year handout would be to get each classroom ready for the new year; decorated and repaired, then with any other out of term jobs being managed through out the year class by class as the less important jobs are dealt with weekly via the check list available in the main office. ultimately balancing both and some sense and order to how things are done here finally materialising.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 12 08:40

Vera wrote: 12th Mar 2024 at 8:24am It won't work mate,
There will always be those CO's who will think that they won't need to bother as it doesn't affect them or they will not think and just dump a load of jobs on you at the end of term (usually as they leave out the door)

Best bet is to have some formal way of reporting all jobs whether that be paper email or a system such as Every. you can then sift through the jobs to decide for yourself which will take priority. This "system" is a good way for SLT to measure your effectiveness as well so get them on board with the idea so the CO's have no choice but to use it as it is an order from above..
This type of system also allows you to conveniently forget those jobs for pain in the *** teachers who will never use "the system" and will just shout jobs at you from down the corridor. [Like.png]
This.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Frankle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 09:11

I have found that nothing works here, have tried the e-mail option, book in the main office and book in the staff room but it's too much trouble for them. Now whatever problems I find whilst locking up or on my daily travels through school I fix them. I only have another year maximum before retirement so I will just continue what I am doing.
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 09:25

We use Every and it's now in place in all of our schools and works really well.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 12 09:38

no need to re-invent the wheel
https://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/classroom-checklist.htm

You need to get govs and SLT on board. And be prepared for the items that are merely niggles becoming H&S issues!!
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 12 10:00

I have to agree with Vera. At my previous school the lead MAT school used to hand out a classroom H&S checklist to the teachers and it seemed to work fine, when I got the the job as premises manager I tried to get it to work at a second school but only a handful of teachers filled it in, the rest didn't. You will be chasing your tail trying to get the teachers to get them filled in. One of the teachers even questioned why 'I' wasn't filling the forms out.

I would also be concerned that you hand those forms out. If all of them come back, the teachers, will all expect their classroom to take priority. You will have a load of work needing to be completed and only 5 half weeks to complete it all in the summer holiday. Unless you have an army of workers you won't get it all completed.

You would be best make a rolling plan that each holiday a classroom will get sorted. You can go in and discuss with the teacher what needs to be completed.

I will now only take jobs on if a staff member emails me. I then place them into a job folder in my emails and then use that to make a plan.