H&S Executive visit asbestos.

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 06:44

H&S Executive visit asbestos.

Morning I have H&S exec in today pertaining to asbestos any advice, guidance and insight into what they may say and ask would be greatly appreciated. We have all our paper work up to date and in the main office I am down in said booklet as responsible for the day to day operational management of asbestos on site ? to which I have never done anything related to this in the 3 years I have been here ? so any guidance or advice on what I may be asked or what you guys do would be great thanks.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 08:24

Re: H&S Executive visit asbestos.

Presuming this is a routine visit and not a visit due to an incident or report..
As long as your inspections are up to date along with your management plan and training records, there should be no issue.

Might be worth brushing up on your knowledge and procedures just in case you get asked any questions to test your knowledge..

Good luck.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 14 08:26

If everything up to date paperwork wise and you are aware of where it is in your building that's a good start. Have all contractors who have been onsite working signed to say they are aware of where it is and the type. Read the manual. Are all staff aware of where it is. Especially any new staff. Have you got the certificates if any has been removed.
What you can't do is try to blag your way through. If you don't know a answer say you will find out.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 08:32

yes it is a routine visit and all the paperwork, folder etc in the office is update contractors signed as and when they should so just a case of being prepared to answer any questions they may ask me.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 09:03

hendo91 wrote: 14th Mar 2024 at 8:32am yes it is a routine visit and all the paperwork, folder etc in the office is update contractors signed as and when they should so just a case of being prepared to answer any questions they may ask me.
What would you do if you accidentally disturbed asbestos?
What would you do if you saw a contractor disturbing asbestos?
Where are the ACM's in your building? ( A trick question as the correct answer is always "I will check the register to find out for you") They are not testing your knowledge but are making sure you know how to find information from the documentation you have.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 09:13

Vera wrote: 14th Mar 2024 at 9:03am What would you do if you accidentally disturbed asbestos?
What would you do if you saw a contractor disturbing asbestos?
Where are the ACM's in your building? ( A trick question as the correct answer is always "I will check the register to find out for you") They are not testing your knowledge but are making sure you know how to find information from the documentation you have.
massive helps thanks
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 14 09:53

On a H&S audit many years back even though our paperwork was all up to date including the asbestos register. The auditor questioned if contractors are shown the asbestos register before starting work, and if so why there are not many signatures present in the contractors notes section? Some of them refuse to sign I answered to which he replied, they don’t start work then do they…
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 09:58

Keyolder wrote: 14th Mar 2024 at 9:53am On a H&S audit many years back even though our paperwork was all up to date including the asbestos register. The auditor questioned if contractors are shown the asbestos register before starting work, and if so why there are not many signatures present in the contractors notes section? Some of them refuse to sign I answered to which he replied, they don’t start work then do they…
I suspect we will be questioned on this also now the register is always put at the main entrance and contractors made aware and ask to read and sign before beginning work where our issues will lie is during the holidays if I am away then often the BM gives keys to a fella who contracts all our refurb work his workers then come and go as they see fit and all policy's and procedures go out the window and its out of our control.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 14 10:16

This will not be the HSE, they stopped routine visits to schools in 2011. The HSE are now the enforcement body, they serve prohibition or improvement notices, and prosecute. They do offer advice but only through their website. The truth is, there are just far too few of them to carry out routine checks any more.

It is more likely that this is a county council H&S advisor checking. They have an obligation to ensure all schools under their control are complying with the legislation. The only time the HSE will visit a school is if there has been an incident involving serious injury or a fatality which legally the school would have to report to them under RIDDOR or a complaint/s have been made.

Whoever it is visiting you, it will be good to have a second pair of eyes and know that everything is in place (or not). If things aren't all in place, they should offer advise and steer you in the right direction.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 14 10:23

thecaretaker wrote: 14th Mar 2024 at 10:16am This will not be the HSE, they stopped routine visits to schools in 2011. The HSE are now the enforcement body, they serve prohibition or improvement notices, and prosecute. They do offer advice but only through their website. The truth is, there are just far too few of them to carry out routine checks any more.

It is more likely that this is a county council H&S advisor checking. They have an obligation to ensure all schools under their control are complying with the legislation. The only time the HSE will visit a school is if there has been an incident involving serious injury or a fatality which legally the school would have to report to them under RIDDOR or a complaint/s have been made.

Whoever it is visiting you, it will be good to have a second pair of eyes and know that everything is in place (or not). If things aren't all in place, they should offer advise and steer you in the right direction.
thanks