Getting a GP appointment

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 18 13:31

Getting a GP appointment

It is getting almost impossible to get a GP appointment. I need to arrange a medication review for my Dad, so I emailed the surgery (group) last night to get a reply that they no longer accept email requests for appointments. I have to either phone between 8am and 11pm or go online to use a thing called 'engage consult' on Patient Access.

I went online and get a huge list of possible illnesses none of which apply to requesting a medication review.

So, I rang just after 8am and got a voice message saying they had exceeded their safe clinical limit and are unable to offer any further appointments today. Please ring back after 8am tomorrow.

I visited their facebook page where they harp on about how many appointments are not kept and patients must call them to cancel their appointments. This was met by numerous (50+) comments like "Ha, you got an appointment!" and "You can't cancel your appointment. I was 97th in the cue, waited on the phone for 2 hours when I got cut off as it was nearing 11am". One guy said "Why don't you have a dedicated cancel number?".

When I first used this GP surgery (some 40 years ago), you could go at 8am in the morning with walk-in appointments (often see a GP within an hour or 2). They have now become a group of 4 surgeries and have linked all the individual phone lines to one number where you get 2 receptionists who send requests to a triage team (if you get through).

The surgery used to have 4-5 GP's and they had a light system that showed you which doctors were in today. On occasions I have recently visited the surgery, there are no GP's in at all, only one nurse doing basic stuff. At reception, they won't book appointments, you are told to ring after 8am.

They have outsourced things like blood pressure checks and blood tests to third party companies where you have to visit a local church hall or the town hall where you have to contact them to book.

They also tell you to go to your Pharmacy for many complaints.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 134530.png

The GP's at the practise no longer do house calls, you have to can 111 for that.

I mean.... what the hell are GP's doing these days? No wonder A&E is so busy. I appreciate GP's are in short supply but really, all they seem to do is refer you to a consultant at the local hospital thanks to the Shipman affair.

Moan over [Angry.png]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 18 16:37

Re: Getting a GP appointment

I’ve given up calling my Health Centre and use Patient Access online, then the most you will get is a call back in a few days’ time to assess if you need an appointment.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 18 16:45

It's pretty much hopeless now.

I think the Doctors are looking at dentists and realising that going private works when there is no other NHS choice, so are just making it more and more difficult to get appointments knowing that eventually privatisation will appear by the back door.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 18 17:28

I thought I did well 18 months ago to get an appointment the following day. That appointment was some guy sat in front of Mr Google who's opening line was "what do you think it is"? Having had an hernia before I said "an hernia" , Mr Google says no but I will refer you for an ultrasound. Mr Ultrasound said it was an hernia and my GP will be in touch.

That was 16 months ago.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 19 08:32

I must admit, I'm a naughty boy.

Largely, I just don't bother going to the Dr as I know I can't get an appointment.

When I really think I need to see someone, I just go to the hospital. I know it's wrong but I can go to A & E, they then decide it's non-urgent so triage you into the GP part and you sit and wait. I know I'll see someone....... eventually. It might take hours but it's still less time than trying to go to the actual GP.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 19 09:08

Nail wrote: 19th Mar 2024 at 8:32am I must admit, I'm a naughty boy.

Largely, I just don't bother going to the Dr as I know I can't get an appointment.

When I really think I need to see someone, I just go to the hospital. I know it's wrong but I can go to A & E, they then decide it's non-urgent so triage you into the GP part and you sit and wait. I know I'll see someone....... eventually. It might take hours but it's still less time than trying to go to the actual GP.
Similar here tbh. I actually have an appointment later today as a new patient, so we'll see how the new surgery is then.

The thing is, I once went to the doctors because I had a cough that had gone on for about 6 weeks, so made an appointment as the adverts tell you. I was told "it's just a usual winter cough nothing to worry about" but the tone in which it was said was more "you're wasting my time get out". Since then I actually very rarely book for an appointment (unless it's for my son), and just use the pharmacies - who are generally very good - or contact 111. At least then you can say "well they advised that I come here" when you invariably get told to go to the hospital.
Buffer
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 19 09:20

We are so lucky our GP is excellent no problem's getting appointments last year my wife broke her hip and ruptured her spleen our GP just dropped in
regularly to see her at home and the same with a dentist and hospital appointments glad I moved up here back in 2007 it is like a different world.
PalaceEagles
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 19 09:35

It's disappointing the service that we are provided with now. I remember as a kids my mum taking me to the dr's and having to sit in the waiting room until you were called when the next appointment was available. You would normally be seen within about 30 minutes and your Doctor new everything about you and your family.
I very rarely go to the doctors now as I can't be bothered waiting for an appointment. But for my kids I got so fed up of waiting on the phone and being 21st in the queue and being on the phone for 30 minutes to be then told that no appointment are available, I now go down to the doctors and wait until its open at 7.30. Most of the time I end up getting appointments. I've got a friend who took it one step further and downloaded an NHS document where it stated that anyone under 16 needs to be seen by a GP, he called for a meeting with the practice manager and senior doctor.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 19 11:09

PalaceEagles wrote: 19th Mar 2024 at 9:35am It's disappointing the service that we are provided with now. I remember as a kids my mum taking me to the dr's and having to sit in the waiting room until you were called when the next appointment was available. You would normally be seen within about 30 minutes and your Doctor new everything about you and your family.
I very rarely go to the doctors now as I can't be bothered waiting for an appointment. But for my kids I got so fed up of waiting on the phone and being 21st in the queue and being on the phone for 30 minutes to be then told that no appointment are available, I now go down to the doctors and wait until its open at 7.30. Most of the time I end up getting appointments. I've got a friend who took it one step further and downloaded an NHS document where it stated that anyone under 16 needs to be seen by a GP, he called for a meeting with the practice manager and senior doctor.
For mine, rocking up to make an appointment face to face won't work - they send you away.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 19 12:18

Unless I`m dying I wouldn`t bother [Shock.png]
After a heart attack a few years ago I booked an appointment with GP, 3 weeks later I get to see one, on checking my medical records she said you should have had a blood test after 2 weeks, I said it`s taken 3 weeks to get an appointment [Shock.png]
She said book a blood test with reception, they gave me a slot a few days ahead, I said I need one NOW! [Angry.png]
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch