Hiding in plain sight

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 22 08:45

Re: Hiding in plain sight

I had my hours changed without discussion about 10 months ago. So where previously my split shift was a balanced day with a 4 hour downtime in the middle it has now shifted to a 12 hour long day with the inability to do the necessary as you are limited in a pupil filled working school. That's fine as long as it suits those who are walking through the door at 16.30. However we have landed OFSTED and all of a sudden it's can you open up earlier and you then have to "ask" people to leave way after when your key should have been in the door.

That is unappreciated for you, no thought as to you have been there for 12 hours because you are invisible.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 22 09:29

It's good to know we all face the same problems and have the same feeling sometimes. Sharing helps, and this forum is great for that.

Personally, I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a teachers Whatsapp group chat. Not only because of the imposition it would be on my personal life (work related messages at all hours) but also because I wouldn't want teachers to have my number.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 22 15:39

For balance - and for anyone looking to start in the caretaking role.

Not all schools are like those that have been described here.
I have said before in these forums that i am lucky in my school. I am generally included in most, if not all school socials.
The staff here, in the main, are friendly inclusive and generally see me as a colleague.
My experience in my role, and my knowledge of the school is sought and i am often asked for my input on projects.
I work with the children, i go on the occasional trip, and have been part of several residential

When I first started, I used to get asked about things at the last minute. I asked to be added to the teacher group to prevent this. now I am included in the staff email group and, more importantly the teachers groups. So when they are planning stuff I am kept in the loop..

I believe you reap what you sow. I have worked hard to build a relationship with the staff. Some I get on with, some only get professional courtesy at best. That is life.

Of course there are times when things go a bit awry. ( i could have walked out a few months ago) through a mix of personal issue and work pressures that got on top of me.
I worked through it, with the help from some of my closer colleagues and family. I am in a much better place now. It still is not the perfect job, and there are things that I am not overly happy with. But the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

I have worked in the caretaking role in various industries, from education, hotels, warehouses and retail. Retail was by far the worst for never being seen in plain sight.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 22 19:29

I did the caretaker school role for 16 years sometimes appreciated when I first started. Has the years went by nothing was said about what I did. Nothing was said when I went above and beyond. I wasn't seen. Not even a thanks when a member of staff requested something straight away. The last head only spoke sorry barked when it wasn't done straight away. Didn't want to hear if I had a reason. Usually a sick child to clean up after. She then without even asking changed my hours. Awful person still is and can't keep a caretaker due to her personality. Got out and had the last laugh.
I'm now a caretaker in a caring environment. Take today for staying over other day 2 lovely boxes of chocolate biscuits left on my desk with a big thankyou note. Totally different manager and staff.
Would never go back into school life. It's changed for the worse. And I can't see it changing back. Your not even noticed just used and abused.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 22 22:58

In my school I feel a part of the group and have a pretty good relationship with all the teachers and support staff, much different when I worked in secondary where literally some teachers couldn't tell site staff apart we were so beneath their notice.

I used to feel invisible to the school management but now they micromanage everything I do and won't leave me alone. The BM alone must spend half her day following me around. Have decided to call it quits and can't wait to go. The head has such a reputation now she struggles to recruit and yet oddly seems desperate to get everyone to leave! Absolutely clueless, e.g. expects cleaners to do over double the area in the same time that any other company would and then blames my management for their resignations.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Basher
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 23 20:22

Yes, seems tough to attract the right people these days.
Where I work has advertised for a new caretaker twice now and still not found a real suitable person to fill the role.
Personally I do enjoy my job, love the school environment and if the wage was a bit better I wouldn’t have a complaint.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 24 04:53

Someone came on here a while back to ask forum members about why their long-term advert had not attracted any candidates. Either they ignored the advice or their management did, but they did not change anything and it was still being advertised over six months later. When a new academy opened up around here about seven years ago, they were looking for a deputy site manager and the advert was full of how they were committed to recruiting "world-class" people to every position but the person spec went on for pages and the salary was 16.5k. It was reposted for months and months as they slowly increased the salary towards a point where it might actually attract some interest.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 24 10:08

Handyman wrote: 24th Mar 2024 at 4:53am When a new academy opened up around here about seven years ago, they were looking for a deputy site manager and the advert was full of how they were committed to recruiting "world-class" people to every position but the person spec went on for pages and the salary was 16.5k.
I never realised just how low my salary was until my son left college and got his first job. His starting salary was more than mine, and I even back then was on the highest salary spine point for my grade. I also suffered as many did a 5 year pay freeze downgrade as a result of Single Status. Plus, the loss of overtime when toil and split duty was introduced, resulting in an extended 13-hour day with an extended break in the middle.

I believe that break in the middle of the day promotes our invisibility prompting thoughts of “he’s never here what do we pay him for” from the SMT.

The fact that we just get on with the job in hand, sorting the many problems often without intervention also distances us from other school staff.

Many times, I received emails from staff re problems with their rooms, often I would notice the problem myself and sort it or act on their request. Sometimes in passing the staff member that sent the email would stop me and say, “I sent you and email yesterday complaining about my (insert problem) but don’t worry its fixed itself” not realising I had already sorted it. But most times I never even got a thank you for solving the issue.

I also believe the many statutory checks and record keeping we need to complete goes unnoticed by school management, downgrading again our perceived importance in the day to day running of the school.

It can be a very lonely and thankless job sometimes, but I have a cheery disposition and try to make light of any situation, and that has kept me sane all these years.
[Neutral.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Mar 2024 24 12:16

Keyolder wrote: 24th Mar 2024 at 10:08am I never realised just how low my salary was…
Very true.

I was a site manager and at the top of my pay band. I thought it was a good salary.
As you know I was made redundant.
Got a job with the local town council it pays a full one third more, but for a four day week. The work load is a lot more manageable.

Also it’s 9-5 and at 5 it’s get out now. That’s from the boss.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 24 14:11

Handyman wrote: 24th Mar 2024 at 4:53amWhen a new academy opened up around here about seven years ago, they were looking for a deputy site manager and the advert was full of how they were committed to recruiting "world-class" people to every position but the person spec went on for pages and the salary was 16.5k. It was reposted for months and months as they slowly increased the salary towards a point where it might actually attract some interest.
Yes Academies will do that, go on about being professional and then refusing to pay a decent wage because they really dont believe the hype that they advertise with, they are full of BS and all academies should be banned 🤬. Just my honest opinion after personal experience
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.