Hiding in plain sight

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 28 19:11

Re: Hiding in plain sight

Handyman wrote: 28th Apr 2024 at 7:00pm Unfortunately, a lot of this is all too familiar to me. If I talk to any of the other support staff about anything I find out later that the BM goes into the room after me and interrogates them about what we talked about. Meanwhile it seems every time I go through the office area, SLT are making themselves drinks and/or having a laugh. It didn't use to be like that here, staff turnover was practically zero and it was much more friendly.

Wish I was having better luck sourcing another job, I am getting some interviews but everywhere seems to be very picky now and jobs that have been up for months and had plenty of applicants just get readvertised constantly because they are looking for a 'perfect' candidate, who probably isn't applying because they don't want to work for the money on offer.
Roles in schools have changed so much. I was with the school over 16 years. Last two years I hated it.
I would say get out before it makes you poorly. I'm out still a caretaker but in a care profession. And I'm one of a team. With a good manager. Caretaking is just not a school role
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 07:07

eebagum wrote: 28th Apr 2024 at 7:11pm Roles in schools have changed so much. I was with the school over 16 years. Last two years I hated it.
I would say get out before it makes you poorly. I'm out still a caretaker but in a care profession. And I'm one of a team. With a good manager. Caretaking is just not a school role
Too late, it is already making me ill. I wish I had started trying to leave sooner when things started going bad. There seems to be a lot of jobs outside of schools with similar duties but I can't seem to get any to take me on at the moment.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 07:40

Handyman wrote: 28th Apr 2024 at 7:00pm Unfortunately, a lot of this is all too familiar to me. If I talk to any of the other support staff about anything I find out later that the BM goes into the room after me and interrogates them about what we talked about. Meanwhile it seems every time I go through the office area, SLT are making themselves drinks and/or having a laugh. It didn't use to be like that here, staff turnover was practically zero and it was much more friendly.

Wish I was having better luck sourcing another job, I am getting some interviews but everywhere seems to be very picky now and jobs that have been up for months and had plenty of applicants just get readvertised constantly because they are looking for a 'perfect' candidate, who probably isn't applying because they don't want to work for the money on offer.
If you are feeling like you need to get out soon, you could try the recruitment companies as they may find you roles you hadn't considered.

It's worth a try to see what else is out there. [Thumb_up.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 08:20

Jobs are not so easy to come by agree. And in school roles we become comfortable with the job. Then overtime we start to notice things changing. We think maybe it's me not them. But the attitude continues and we start to get stressed with it but still we continue in the thought it will change. Nope it gets worse. But by this time we are struggling. So thoughts of another job are on our minds. But when we apply and we don't get it. Then it makes life harder. But even if life was good. We may not have got it. But we don't see that. It's another knock back.
Keep trying for that job. It's waiting for you. Like mine was.
wonderwoman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 08:28

do you live near Southampton as there is a job being advertised for a 30 hours a week at a school called mansel i think it's afternoons with the chance to work across the partnership schools for extra hours.It's not a academy it's a federation as two of the schools are catholic.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 29 09:38

I fear this may become me. Very happy where I am, part of the team, in the whatsapp groups etc.. BUT i'm going off to support other schools, and my time at this site will soon rapidly drop to around 2 or three days a week, then down to one... I feel like I won't get to know anyone wherever I go on my rounds. Hey-Ho. it's progression and I'm earning more for my family.
Simon
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 09:39

To anyone getting stressed at the job I would say do only what you believe to be reasonable, anything more then tell them no. You have rights as an employee and you cannot be expected to do unmanagable work loads. You have more rights than you may realise and if you have been in the job a few years they can't just get rid of you, the disciplinary procedures they would have to go to to get to the point of sacking you are not worth the paperwork and their while, so as much as they might bark at you just bark back and stand your ground. Don't get stressed about it.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 10:06

Simon wrote: 29th Apr 2024 at 9:39am To anyone getting stressed at the job I would say do only what you believe to be reasonable, anything more then tell them no. You have rights as an employee and you cannot be expected to do unmanagable work loads. You have more rights than you may realise and if you have been in the job a few years they can't just get rid of you, the disciplinary procedures they would have to go to to get to the point of sacking you are not worth the paperwork and their while, so as much as they might bark at you just bark back and stand your ground. Don't get stressed about it.
The only problem is they have no need to sack you, they will just make your life a living hell and you will leave for them. [Neutral.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 10:50

As I was the originator of the subject, I'm pleased I am in a better place. Things were getting on top of me, and my glass was over full. Changes here in SLT seems to be making improvements.
When I wrote it, it was spontaneous. I just let the thoughts come out. I am surprised (and also not) that there are so many going through similar. We all have down times, and I really feel this forum is a good place to express things, knowing others are there to support. Thanks for listening, thanks for advise, i know if things get a bit tough I can rely on others. It's good to talk (or use a keyboard). Take care all [Thumb_up.png]
Simon
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 29 10:57

Vera wrote: 29th Apr 2024 at 10:06am The only problem is they have no need to sack you, they will just make your life a living hell and you will leave for them. [Neutral.png]
Like I say, you have more rights than you and maybe even they realise. If they try to make your life hell then that would be constructive dismissal and an employment tribunal would be all over them. Also it wouldn't look well on the Ofsted report for the school as staff well being is part of it.

Employers have a duty of care and a duty of trust and confidence to employees which is UK employment law. One of the employers responsibilities is to take steps to prevent work related stress, also to treat you with respect and not behave in an unreasonable way. Any breach of these responsibilities is a breach of contract and can be taken to an employment tribunal. I think it is important that people understand their employment rights because many people don't and management often try riding roughshod over them thinking they an get away with it and often not realising what the laws are themselves. If you turn up for work and do what is reasonably expected then they can't touch you. If they try to put more work on you than is reasonable then challenge them about it, you aren't their slave you are their to do a job and nothing more.