Car insurance

Chat about Cars, Public Transport, Trams, Railways, Bikes, Air Travel, Travel Services...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 23 14:36

Car insurance

Anyone needing to renew their car insurance soon may be in for a bit of a shock. Granted I live in London in one of the worst areas for car thefts, but quotes I’ve gotten online from the many “Compare” websites are all more than 40% more expensive than last year.

Has the many luxury car thefts car park fires and apparent nonexistence and long wait for replacement parts forced up everyone’s premiums, or are insurance companies and shareholders just greedy for profits?
[Shock.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2024 23 14:51

Re: Car insurance

Keyolder wrote: 23rd Mar 2024 at 2:36pm Anyone needing to renew their car insurance soon may be in for a bit of a shock. Granted I live in London in one of the worst areas for car thefts, but quotes I’ve gotten online from the many “Compare” websites are all more than 40% more expensive than last year.

Has the many luxury car thefts car park fires and apparent nonexistence and long wait for replacement parts forced up everyone’s premiums, or are insurance companies and shareholders just greedy for profits?
[Shock.png]
I think it is a combination of both. But once the charges have gone up, they never go back down. I guess they aren't making so much money since the government stopped their tricks like stepping for existing customers and one time special offers for new insurers.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 23 15:25

Mine went up almost 50% so I shopped around and got the same cover with another company for about £20 more. Absolutely ridiculous to expect people to shell out so much more.
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 08:32

being of a "certain age" i was able to get insured with Saga.. great prices and a fixed rate with no change whatsoever for three years. I am now on year four and the rise was £7 (now fixed for three years again)
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 25 11:05

Because I have ridden motorbikes for 50 years my NCB is quite good! but getting a car 3 years ago my NCB on a bike doesn`t count but if I`d had a claim on my bike it would count against car insurance [Shock.png]
Bike insurance went down by £10 last year [Success.png] car insurance I don`t know as I changed cars but it is currently 4 x that of my bike!
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 12:05

I live in (not so)greater London and mine has gone up £90. Tried various sites but my current insurer worked out the best.
Gigantor
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 17:00

I've heard that the increased costs are to the repair costs of EVs due to the cost of the battery and surrounding impact protection of it.
"I know that you are really busy (And I can't be bothered), but..." "Could you just...?" "When you get a chance... No rush. (But what I actually mean is right now)"
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 17:07

Gigantor wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 5:00pm I've heard that the increased costs are to the repair costs of EVs due to the cost of the battery and surrounding impact protection of it.
So us car users premiums are going up because it costs more to repair other peoples vehicles.

I have a novel and fair solution. The first years of driving you prove yourself until you get to the point that the insurance company trusts you and sets it at that premium. Then every year you go without incident the premium stays the same, irrelevant of what the Tesla driver next door does. [Thumb_up.png]
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 17:23

Gigantor wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 5:00pm I've heard that the increased costs are to the repair costs of EVs due to the cost of the battery and surrounding impact protection of it.
Even just removing an EV from a crash is eye wateringly expensive If there is any chance of the battery burning or shorting then the whole vehicle is put into a tank of water and submerged, resulting in a total loss of the vehicle and an environmental nightmare to dispose of it and the water within it.

https://www.aaa-roadrescue.co.uk/copy-o ... assistance

This and many other factors are resulting in much higher insurance premiums
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 19:25

Vera wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 5:23pm This and many other factors are resulting in much higher insurance premiums
One of my neighbours had his 21 plate Mini damaged probably in a car park. The rear bumper was dented and pushed in, a dent with paint damage to a rear quarter plus a lens cluster was smashed.
He got a quote from a crash repair centre of almost £2000 [Shock.png]

I think these crash repair centres are greedy for profits. He’s not putting it through his insurance but if he did there would also be the insurance assessors time, case and document processing plus the hire car to pay for.

He’s decided to repair it himself with parts from a breakers yard, some filler and a paint rattle can.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.