BBQ's

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 09:21

BBQ's

Good morning all I hope you are all well. I have been asked to find new charcoal bbq's that might last more than a year has anyone got any recommendations tia
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 09:24

Re: BBQ's

Weber have a good reputation for building solid BBQ's (stay away from the cheaper weber ones)

Look for cast iron grills and a good sealing lid for hot smoking.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 25 14:41

Vera wrote: 25th Mar 2024 at 9:24am Weber have a good reputation for building solid BBQ's (stay away from the cheaper weber ones)

Look for cast iron grills and a good sealing lid for hot smoking.
Right you are vera, they actually invented the first ones with lids.
"1952: The early charcoal grills were a start but the wind would often blow ash onto the food. George Stephen, a welder at Weber Brothers Metal Works, was upset by this and out of a curiosity, inspiration or genius or whatever you want to call it, cuts a metal buoy in half to make a dome-shaped lid for the grill. He uses the top half as a lid that seals in flavour and evenly distributes heat, and adds vents to get oxygen to the fire. He also welded 3 legs to it and the iconic Weber grill is born." (from my book).
With proper care, even the less expensive ones can last a long time.
A quick search and I found this one on amazon that should work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tepro-Toronto- ... 91031&th=1

Let me know if you have any questions on the subject.
[Like.png]
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
TheTaker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 14:48

Thanks guys ....
My life is like a game of Tetris - I never get the block I want
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 17:00

The issue isn't the one you buy- it's who's going to clean it. [Wink.png] Normal practice is to put it away once cold, leave it until the day you need it the following year, then admire the growths etc on it that would make David Attenborough proud
[Scared.png] [Shock.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 09:01

twiglets wrote: 25th Mar 2024 at 5:00pm The issue isn't the one you buy- it's who's going to clean it.
Yes, I had that pleasure many times… [Disappointment.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 26 09:50

Weber all day.

Regarding cleaning - don't clean it after use, clean it just before use. Get it lit and up to a hot temperature with the lid on. Then wipe over the lid, then all the inside grates etc. Much easier and effective to clean when its hot. Just wear thick work gloves.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 26 10:53

ElGuapo wrote: 26th Mar 2024 at 9:50am Weber all day.

Regarding cleaning - don't clean it after use, clean it just before use. Get it lit and up to a hot temperature with the lid on. Then wipe over the lid, then all the inside grates etc. Much easier and effective to clean when its hot. Just wear thick work gloves.
Good point bro.
"Starting the Prep work.
A good grillin’ season starts with prep work. A clean grill is a happy grill (oops, now I sound like Bob Ross) and the food tastes better.
Start with the outside then the Inside. Before I start let me say that I have read and seen other methods of cleaning where they use chemicals (degreasers, oven cleaners) to clean like those spray on kitchen type cleaners and other things. In my early days I used some of these and found it sometimes gave a chemical taste to the grillin’ so like I said, I now go for the natural way.
Use soap and warm water on the outside but not up under the lid/cover to get it clean. Even if it is covered up for most of the year, it still needs to be cleaned. To get the inside of the lid clean just use hot water. Sometimes a scraper (plastic so as not to scratch the coating) I use to get the baked-on stuff off. Then a good quick rinse with just hot water to get the soap residue off the outside. Again, forget the household cleaning chemicals as like I said they can leave a funny taste when you cook if not rinsed off totally. And please don’t forget to clean the inside of the bottom half. Ash and soot will build up so it needs to be cleaned too.
For gas grills, take the burner(s) apart and use a brass wire brush or the wire brush from your kit to lightly clean the drippings off the burners and don’t forget the sides of the burners to keep the gas holes open and flame even. Wipe it down with warm water to get any “hairs” from the brush that may have come off the wire brush. Don’t forget the drip plate that sits on top of the burners. Hot water and a good wipe will do the trick, just be careful so you don’t bend it out of shape.
If your grill uses “lava rocks” to disperse the heat then just replace them. It is much cheaper than to spend the time cleaning them.
Did you forget the grease drip cup? Well, just empty it. A quick wipe and it’s ready. It catches the dripping grease from making a puddle on the floor so it don’t have to be shiny clean, just clean and empty.
Also use this time to tighten/replace any lose or broken fixings on both the charcoal grill and gas one. The key thing to remember here is;
1. If it’s lose and shouldn’t be, then tighten it.
2. If it should move but don’t or is stiff, lubricate it. If the fixings are movable but stiff DO NOT use a spray lubricant to loosen them, use a cooking oil. Cooking oils lubricate and won’t leave a taste. Please don’t use your partners best extra virgin olive oil as this might cause trouble with them, any regular cooking oil will do just fine. Just work the piece a few times to loosen it up.
Check the spark button on your gas grill to ensure it works. It’s that button you push to light it. If it doesn’t work then replace it. It’s simple, just pinch the two plastic wings on the back together and it should pop out. Disconnect the one wire and it’s out. Any good hardware shop or the internet will have replacements, nothing special, one size mostly fits all. When you’re checking it, Please do not use lighters or matches to start the flame. This is dangerous, seriously, holding a lit flame where gas is coming out is not smart at all.
Do you need a new cover to keep the weather off it when not in use, well now’s the time to get it. It don’t have to be a “glove” fit. As long as it keeps the weather off it works.
Next is the grill.
The grill.
Clean it with hot water and NO SOAP! Don’t be afraid to scrub it with a cloth or sponge. Sometimes if there is grease and gunk on the grill, if it’s too tough then soak it in hot coffee (yes hot coffee!) that will break down the grease and stuff enough to get it cleaned. If it is really nasty or stubborn then soak it in some boiling water and bicarbonate soda. If you want another choice then use vinegar to clean it. It will break down just about anything and is natural sort of, also works great as a household cleaner for mould and stuff without the chemicals. Heck, it even kills ants if you have a problem.
Let the grill dry after a final rubdown with hot water.
Some folks will heat the grill or even before heating, will use a wire brush to scrape the grill clean. This may be alright if you’re going to cover it with foil or something but, think about it, do you want to use a half-clean grill? If you are going to do this (and I have on a few occasions) at least make sure your grill is HOT to kill any germs before you put the food on."
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)