Ging Gang Goolie

Discuss Energy saving, Recycling ideas, Plastic use, Food waste and looking after our planet...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 25 11:56

Ging Gang Goolie

Well, the local cub group are taking the cubs into the woods for a long weekend to learn all about nature, caring for the environment and learn about plants and trees and the effects of global warming.

Great!

But then they are going to spoilt it. They are going to make a large camp fire to sing Ging Gang Goolie round and have a stinky BBQ. Very environmentally friendly [Shock.png]

Lets hope they don't set fire to the forest.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 11:59

Re: Ging Gang Goolie

That's good to hear! We should be getting more kids out doing the same!
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 25 15:36

thecaretaker wrote: 25th Mar 2024 at 11:56am Well, the local cub group are taking the cubs into the woods for a long weekend to learn all about nature, caring for the environment and learn about plants and trees and the effects of global warming.

Great!

But then they are going to spoilt it. They are going to make a large camp fire to sing Ging Gang Goolie round and have a stinky BBQ. Very environmentally friendly [Shock.png]

Lets hope they don't set fire to the forest.
Is this a wind up?
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 25 15:37

I LOVE it!
Yes, let's go into nature to teach the children about it, global warming, conservation and caring for it by building a camp, cutting some wood and burning it. What's next? Using snails to power treadmills?
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When all else fails, play dead)
ElGuapo
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2024 25 15:43

No, I mean are you winding us up by being annoyed about kids having a camp fire and a BBQ in nature? Surely you are winding us up? You can't be serious that this is bad and it's not environmentally friendly.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a pee each day.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 15:50

ElGuapo wrote: 25th Mar 2024 at 3:43pm No, I mean are you winding us up by being annoyed about kids having a camp fire and a BBQ in nature? Surely you are winding us up? You can't be serious that this is bad and it's not environmentally friendly.
I think the point was about the kids learning about the environment by burning part of it and having a BBQ in a wooded area (not a smart idea)

I'm sure the scout leaders have RA's and have identified a safe area to have the fire and BBQ, [Confused.png]

But knowing some scout masters I would have the fire service on speed dial.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 25 16:56

Same as us having fires in forest school. We (I) have the qualification/RA's/first aid/defined safe area/rules etc. The only wood we burn is twigs that have fallen and a fire lighter ( old Sparkie I call it). The only accelerant is cotton wool and Vaseline to help it start. Great learning adventure- I even have a thermometer (infrared) to show them we reach temperatures of 800 plus [Big grin.png]. They will likely use old pallets due to the size of the fire- and it is great fun, especially the alternative words to some songs [Scared.png]
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Mar 2024 25 19:05

The more our children experience the outdoors and appreciate the wildlife the better for all of us, surely. I am told many children can't tell you what foodstuffs are grown under the ground or above ground or from trees etc. I consider myself fortunate to have camped, cooked on open fires, climbed trees, gone fishing and swam in rivers etc. Without that wider undertsanding it will be difficult for our children to be greener, more environmentally aware and to combat the pollution we're creating.
My school particpates in recycling and other eco-friendly projects and the children are keen to get involved. We caretakers can have a very positive
influence on this as we are involved with waste, energy consumption, water usage etc. I hope we can all do our bit to help our children look after this planet.