My own MOT

Use this forum to ask questions and discuss about health issues and your fitness to work...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Mar 2024 27 05:59

My own MOT

We recently had a post about getting a GP appointment and although slightly different i wanted to let you know of my experience at my Drs yesterday. I went for my annual bloods and blood pressure check up. I don't know about you but i get white coat syndrome, I get wound up going to the Drs, dentist even the opticians, silly i know but that is just me. I have high blood pressure anyway but it is nearly always raised when they check it because of the above so I end up doing a week of checks at home and handing them in. They took my blood yesterday and the usual wait time is a week so again a bit stressful for me but last night I checked the app that we use for our Drs to see what they had put on about my blood pressure only to find that exactly 8 hours after i left the nurse all of my blood results were there on my medical record. I think that is fantastic service and the good thing is that all results were good. So on one side we have major problems but in another aspect we have fantastic service. I think we are extremely lucky to have the NHS
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 06:13

Re: My own MOT

Just to clarify, i know that there are big problems in the NHS but i think where good service is given it should be recognised 👍
DieselPunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 07:10

Glad to hear your results came back fine.

You're absolutely right about the NHS, it's an amazing service for the price that everybody contributes.
In the news today 24% of the public are satisficed with the NHS, this is another news story to sew the seeds of doubt in the service.
The alternative is an "insurance" based system , I think your blood tests would have cost close to £1000.
PRINGLES - 'once you pop, you can't stop'

Why do them come with re-sealable lids?
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 07:24

I don't think people belief there is an issue with the NHS- it's getting into it they struggle with. All I read where I am is the 0800 fight to get an appointment- I liken it to those that go for Glastonbury tickets. Seems we need to purchase bots to give us a chance to get within the first 10 on the list [Scared.png]
Even surprised you can't bid for an appointment on local social media- you'd make a fortune from "selling" your 10am appointment- say starting bid of £100 [fever.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 08:08

twiglets wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 7:24am I don't think people belief there is an issue with the NHS- it's getting into it they struggle with. All I read where I am is the 0800 fight to get an appointment- I liken it to those that go for Glastonbury tickets. Seems we need to purchase bots to give us a chance to get within the first 10 on the list [Scared.png]
Even surprised you can't bid for an appointment on local social media- you'd make a fortune from "selling" your 10am appointment- say starting bid of £100 [fever.png]
The NHS is fantastic once you have access to it.
The issue is funding and working conditions for doctors nurses and other NHS staff. (please don't add Management to this as they are overpaid and unecessary)
With more funding and better working conditions the NHS would again become an attractive employer and with more people working in the service the waiting times will reduce.

It really is quite simple.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2024 27 08:20

magpie wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 5:59am I went for my annual bloods and blood pressure check up. I don't know about you but i get white coat syndrome, I get wound up going to the Drs, dentist even the opticians, silly i know but that is just me. I have high blood pressure anyway but it is nearly always raised when they check it because of the above so I end up doing a week of checks at home and handing them in.
Same here!

If I take my BP at home, my pulse rate is in the 56-66 bpm range, have it done in the practice, 96-106 range! SO then they want me to come back in for an extra test with all the leads attached, and they ignore the fact that I'm stressed out by simply being in the building!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 08:25

Im going to have to respectfully disagree here,

I think the NHS is a S.Show at present.... But let me be clear, this is in no fault or because of ther hard work from frontline staff and ...... just like schools, its been financially decimated, destryoed buy beauracracy, red tape and middle managers (much llike schools)
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 10:12

Gazza wrote: 27th Mar 2024 at 8:25am Im going to have to respectfully disagree here,

I think the NHS is a S.Show at present.... But let me be clear, this is in no fault or because of ther hard work from frontline staff and ...... just like schools, its been financially decimated, destryoed buy beauracracy, red tape and middle managers (much llike schools)
I agree but if you read my second post it is about recognising when it is good
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 2024 27 10:32

I had a blood and urine test last week, and as you Magpie, they sent the samples off to the my local hospital and the results were online on my 'Patient Knows Best' portal that evening. I was amazed at how many items are checked when they take a blood sample. I don't have a clue what half of them are for. I just check that they are all 'in range'. I did have one concern, one test was for kidney function and that was below normal range.

Urine Albumin test
Urine Creatinine test

Serum TSH test
LDL Cholesterol (Sampson Eqn) test
Calculated Non-HDL Cholesterol test
Serum Cholesterol/ HDL ratio test
Serum HDL Cholesterol test
Serum Triglyceride test
Serum Albumin test
Serum Alanine transaminase test
Serum Alkaline Phosphatase test
Serum Total Bilirubin test
eGFR (CKD-EPI) test
Serum Creatinine test
Serum Potassium test
Serum Sodium test
HbA1c (IFCC Standardised) test
Nucleated RBC test
Basophils test
Eosinophils test
Monocytes test
Lymphocytes test

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2024 27 13:01

I don't have a clue what they are either CT but as long as they are good nothing else matters 👍