HELP! Facebook email

Discussion about Wi-Fi, Routers, Computers, Windows, Mobile Phones, Software, Hardware...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 01 19:15

HELP! Facebook email

Has any Facebook member had this email?

Screenshot 2024-04-01 190320.png

I have a number of life issues currently and I am not thinking straight. After doing a quick online check, it looked like this email was legit. But I'm now wondering after seeing the address (Hackers Way) if it is. Checking email sent by Facebook on my account (not an easy thing to find) this email was listed under the 'Other' category. Not sure what that means. When I clicked on the link, it showed my name, email addresses and phone number. So they gained that information from somewhere. Is this really Facebook or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 01 19:26

Re: HELP! Facebook email

OK, I think this is something to do with trying out some AI website. I've deleted the account at wit.ai. I don't think this has anything to do with Facebook only that I may have clicked Facebook to log into it at one time.

Going to the wit.ai website, I get this message.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 192335.png

I'm getting too old for all this hassle [Angry.png]

Lesson learnt. When a website asks you to log-in and gives you various options (Facebook, Google etc) never use any of those accounts to log-in. By doing so gives the website all your personal details including phone number.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 01 21:23

I would say it depends on the website and if you KNOW it is genuine and know it of old. But if it is new then as you say, don't do it! :-)
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 01 21:36

Personally, I don't trust any email from places like Facebook. Mind you, I'm wary of most emails unless I am expecting them. It does help sometimes to "hover" over the address at the top of the email as sometimes something different comes up that doesn't match what it says. That to me is always a red flag. I get loads from Facebook saying that I have notifications or friends but I know they are fake.
Hope that you haven't been compromised.

Harley
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
HarleyPete
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 01 21:51

It would appear that Facebook have acquired wit.ai and are using it to further their voice to text for messenger amongst other things. Apparently if you accessed you Wit.ai account using Github you can no longer do it but have to have a Facebook account.

All a bit pointless to me, I never "talk" to my phone to get stuff done. I barely use the Alexa at home much, I still prefer to talk to a person or at a push text.

Harley
Shall I rush your rush job before I rush the rush job I was rushing before you rushed in

Most of the time I am a nobody........except when you want something........then, I'm the most important person in the world.

"Teachers are wonderful...........every caretaker should own one, lol"
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 02 08:10

I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any of the others . Don't trust them. But still get emails saying someone tried to log into my account. Any email suspicious I just delete. Any calls I don't recognise I let go to voicemail.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 02 09:14

I’m much the same as above, I get many emails saying I’ve won something, or my delivery is delayed and I need to contact them urgently. I usually block them or just delete the email if suspect.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired
Apr 2024 02 13:37

I had a email saying I had won a £5 M&S voucher, I ignored it, but I HAD, to late to redeem now though. 😅
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 08:55

As my email address ends in .cm and not UK,COM i get a lot of spam emails from the USA mainly saying i have one this or that, got a persistent one at the moment email me every day stating "Re your state farm claim" and i cannot believe the old "I am the son of the late Mr so and so and i have ex amount of US dollars i wish to bank with you blah, blah, blah", that scam must be the oldest scam in the history of the web.

I also get scammers on the phone with Indian sounding voices who i have my own way of getting rid of, i simply say "Good day security how can i help you" they then say they wish to talk to Mr *************** and i reply have you an appointment sir", at this point they normally hang up or try and blag there way through to speaking to Mr *********** and i reply if you do not have an appointment sir i cannot put the call through but if you give me your name and telephone number i will pass it to Mr ********** secretary who will contact you.

Works for me and i just block the number as well. [Success.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)