Electrics - How far do you go?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Fw18
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 02 22:08

Electrics - How far do you go?

Hi all,
As always we are trying to save the pennies. We get the electricians in to replace broken light switches, double sockets, LED fittings etc etc.

I know I am more than capable of replacing more of these items myself.
Test - Isolate - Remove - Install - Test.

I would not attempt a distribution board fix or install new ring mains, new emergency lights etc, I see these as clearly the electricians job.

What do you do In House?
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 07:27

Re: Electrics - How far do you go?

Electrics I generally don't do. Really small jobs, like a door release button that needed moving when reception got new desks, sure. Really low voltage. Generally, although I'm pretty sure I can do it, I just don't. I was told when I started that we don't touch the electrics, insurance reasons etc. Our other site manager tried to repair a Henry hoover plug cable but didn't do a great job hiding it and got a slap on the wrist when PAT testing came and they noticed it. Honestly I don't want the responsibility of starting an electrical fire. I'd happily go elbow deep in a drain full of no-one-knows to save a penny but never with electrics.
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 08:23

Allowed to change plug, tube(only have one left that I missed on LED upgrade), that's about it here. I know it's frustrating that we all know how easy it is to change a face plate/broken back box-- buts those be the rules I'm afraid.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 08:29

when i was a caretaker Just light bulbs and tubes that's it.

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 08:49

I don't do anything unless it is unpluggable.
I was in a past life an electrician so more than capable, but I know enough that without liability insurance I don't do it.

I have replaced light fittings where they are on KLIK plugs Nd of course changed 3 pin plugs. but other than that the electricians do the rest.

Where I can save the school some money is identifying faults so the electricians can bring the bits needed to repair with them.
I also have a chuckle when they try to pull a fast one and use technical words expecting me to not understand. [Big grin.png]
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 03 09:33

I left school and started work as an apprentice electrician, although much to my dad’s disgust, I left that after a month chasing more money. I should have listened to my dad…

As mentioned above although I feel capable of doing most electrical repairs I don’t, however lamps fuses plug tops and minor low voltage stuff like doorbells are all within my remit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
skirbeck
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 09:47

having been on a basic electrics and safe isolation course, at work i replace like for like (light fittings, hand dryers, water boilers etc)
Knights of Skirbeck Medieval re-enactment, not so much a hobby as a way of life!
I'm so old fashioned, outside work I'm either in the 15th or 19th centuries! (Medieval or steampunk, which is best?)
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 11:30

Just plugs. Nothing else
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 03 11:37

We had a tumble drier that only had heat for about 2 minutes when you turned it on and then it blew cold air. Taking the top off and looking inside, I found the two metal strips (the cutoff) and realised it was causing the heat to cut off too soon. It was supposed to only do that if the drier overheated. So I bent one of the strips of metal so it was further away from the other and it solved the problem. However, I worried myself stupid for ages wondering if it overheated (very likely as staff never cleaned the fluff filter out) would it work and could it catch fire. I should never have touched it. I learnt a lesson and never did anything like that again.

Stick to wiring a plug and no more. [Big grin.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 11:47

thecaretaker wrote: 3rd Apr 2024 at 11:37am We had a tumble drier that only had heat for about 2 minutes when you turned it on and then it blew cold air.
It always worried me that our early years centre would put the dryer on just before they left of an evening. When checking the building before locking up I could smell the burning fluff. So I would normally clean the fluff filter and empty the fluid container, they were usually both full btw.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.