Pupils on site

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

FuseBox
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 18:22

Pupils on site

Our School has introduced having children on site to undertake revision sessions, which is set to last the whole duration of the half term holiday.
This has already caused issues with what jobs I can get done and having to monitor contractors who aren't DBS certified.

Any others in the same situation?
The best memories are made outside of work - smell the flowers while you can 🌎🥰
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 03 22:15

Re: Pupils on site

We had that for the last 20 years that i was in the job, one day it would be maths, another Science and so on. Unfortunately since the introduction of league tables years ago it just became the norm
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 08:13

Yep happens here too.

I cannot do anything about it so it doesn't bother me.
Any work that I cannot do is just reported to the Head and BM and that's the end of my involvement.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 08:34

Yes had it for years and it is getting worse now, in every day but one in half term, person responsible for "organising" this didn`t bother to say anything until they emailed me 2 hours after I finished work on Thursday, funnily enough I don`t read work emails when I`m not at work so didn`t see it till Monday, also they said no one in today but teacher said yesterday they are in!

We don`t check DBS, we have LOC on file, builders turned up Monday and there LOC named the contractors, unfortunately 2 builders weren`t on the list so that had to wait 45 mins until I was sent an updated LOC.
I keep everything locked except the areas being used, Teachers will often let the kids out with no supervision for a break!

A post a while back said about a caretaker locking 2 girls in because he didn`t know they were still on site, classic case of teachers not taking a register.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 2024 04 09:21

Nigel wrote: 4th Apr 2024 at 8:34am
A post a while back said about a caretaker locking 2 girls in because he didn`t know they were still on site, classic case of teachers not taking a register.
I remember that. The poor Caretaker was suspended and given a disciplinary if I remember correctly, but there was no action against the teacher. [Angry.png]

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 09:28

I tend to get " sports camps" almost every holiday.
Luckily nowadays there doesn't seem to be any major works going on .
I restrict the area they can use an leave them to it .
Twodogs
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 10:11

Twodogs64 wrote: 4th Apr 2024 at 9:28am I tend to get " sports camps" almost every holiday.
Luckily nowadays there doesn't seem to be any major works going on .
I restrict the area they can use an leave them to it .
Twodogs
Yeah this, I guess I'm quite lucky that our head respects the work we do over the holidays. If I need something done somewhere, I take priority. They want the hall? "Sorry you can't have it, here's your alternatives"... But this has been happening since I started the job a few years back. Only downside is I can't put on any music with too many curse words while I'm working [fever.png]
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 11:18

FuseBox wrote: 3rd Apr 2024 at 6:22pm Our School has introduced having children on site to undertake revision sessions, which is set to last the whole duration of the half term holiday.
This has already caused issues with what jobs I can get done and having to monitor contractors who aren't DBS certified.

Any others in the same situation?
Yep , we've got Y6 in doing SAT's revision
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 13:27

Strange, never seen a pupil in during holidays. Come to think about it, I only see one or two staff in during the holidays as well [Wink.png] Apart from my cleaners, this has been the busiest holiday on record.... I've seen 3, yes 3, staff for a whole day. Never heard of SAT's revision in primary.
In the summer, I will only see probably 3-4 staff in for a few hours if they change classroom. That's it.
New broom in charge after Easter, let's see if there are any changes (there definitely will be [Big grin.png] ).
Strange how they don't like lone working, but as I can only take holidays in holidays, I'm in for many of them .... on my own.
CarlosScout
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 04 15:28

We have that at my school.

I inform the staff responsible for planning the revision classes the work that will be carried out by Premises team and external contactors and what areas we will be working in.

I also email out to all staff informing all of the works planned and what days to avoid if they intend coming in, ie fire alarm servicing, so the alarm will sound at various times throughout the day.

I make it clear that the teaching staff are wholly responsible for ensuring all students have left site, and that during the day they are responsible for the whereabouts of the students.

We have still had students wandering the corridors in areas that are not in use for classes this week so that will be an action point that will be raised on return to school.