PTA building a gazebo

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 07:15

PTA building a gazebo

Morning all,

ill cut to the chase, the PTA are funding a Gazebo for our playground and in true PTA style are trying to get it done on the cheap (or as cheap as possible) its going to be a wooden structure not metal, fixed not freestanding and are going to use a parent builder for labour (to save on costs)

My question to you is does this need to go through planning? in terms of materials are there any specifics about what it can be made out of? are there any fire regs i need to make them aware of?

I may be a premises manager, but building regs is out of my depth

TIA
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 07:28

Re: PTA building a gazebo

We had a wooden "pavillion" installed on our field in my old school, however it was by a company (big playground installers based in Essex beginning with an S).

I asked the planning permission question and was told no it wasn't because of the height and positioning - in the middle of the field away from any structures.

The big main support posts were dug into the ground and postcreted in. Fhe rest was built around it with deck boards etc and a roof.

Not sure if that helps or not, or even if what I was told was correct [Waving.png]
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 07:36

Talk to the local planning office.

They will be able to advise, just make sure they know it is a school (commercial) not a private dwelling.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 07:46

Vera wrote: 24th Apr 2024 at 7:36am Talk to the local planning office.

They will be able to advise, just make sure they know it is a school (commercial) not a private dwelling.
this hhere is the biggest issue i have with our PTA, they treat the school like its an extension of their homes in as much as what they do there in a domestic setting they feel its k to replicate in a commercial one. They fail to realise the rules and regs are different for each type of setting. ive had similar argument with them about playground equipment. they think the can just pay the local builder to come along and put stuff in as if they were asking for him to build in their garden
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 08:14

Gazza wrote: 24th Apr 2024 at 7:46am this hhere is the biggest issue i have with our PTA, they treat the school like its an extension of their homes in as much as what they do there in a domestic setting they feel its k to replicate in a commercial one. They fail to realise the rules and regs are different for each type of setting. ive had similar argument with them about playground equipment. they think the can just pay the local builder to come along and put stuff in as if they were asking for him to build in their garden
Depending on the dimensions, it will probably come within the "permitted development" legislation.
It is not something i have much knowledge of. But your local Council website may have some guidance.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... itals/made
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 08:17

You say fixed not freestanding, does this mean it is joined on to the building? In which case check with the fire officer, as I would be surprised if they allow wooden structures joined on to or near the main building.

For planning it is worth checking, here in East Susssex they have a very useful DINPP (Do I need planning permission) form which you can send in and they will offer free advice, i'm not sure what other planning authorities do.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 08:41

Eddy wrote: 24th Apr 2024 at 8:14am Depending on the dimensions, it will probably come within the "permitted development" legislation.
It is not something i have much knowledge of. But your local Council website may have some guidance.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... itals/made
Permitted development rights for commercial properties are a bit of a minefield.

To be honest we usually take the attitude of if it's not easily visible by the public then it's ok as long as it is small (a shed etc.) anything bigger or that may be used as a classroom or office then it's prudent to ask about planning from the local planning office.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
hendo91
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 08:53

far as planning and regulations go that is something you'll have to enquire about, (meeting with PTA BM and HT) may be a good start, from your standing I would just ask anyone coming on site the usual is he and anyone he will have labouring with with H&S aware, if relevant get him to sign your asbestos register and ask him for a risk assessment for the work he is going to carry out.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 24 09:18

Few issues for me. Keep positive- you probably won't need planning if it is a temporary structure away from the building and boundary. My issue is who is building it? I have a builder who built a small (3 x3m) shelter (FOC) using appropriate wood etc- this will last for ever and is in the forest school, thus supervised.
I also have a purpose build gazebo, on the playground which probably cost £12-14K. The roof has gone (thatched) and replacing just the roof is £2500- and that is a DIY job. I will get help to fit it, but ultimately we have to take responsibility for it as our structure (like for like parts being used).
I would draw the line at the PTA designing and installing a structure that I would then be responsible for it's integrity. If a PTA member is a builder, then maybe I wouldn't be as worried, but would I want to see what appropriate design features will make it "child proof"- as has been said, you might have 50 pupils around it not the 2 or 3 in a garden.
Good Luck.