Are we now a luxury?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 09:09

Re: Are we now a luxury?

thecaretaker wrote: 30th Apr 2024 at 7:39pm 11th July 2003
https://www.tes.com/magazine/archive/wh ... caretakers
Very tabloidy!
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 09:35

Its sad to think that school caretakers are becoming a dinosaur profession, in 50 years’ time will there be such a job, I somehow doubt it…
[Disappointment.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 09:52

I was in conversation with the supervisor contract cleaner last week who was moaning about how their pay increase to 12.25 an hour was insulting as they were over others.

If you include all the supplements that they are given by the government for doing under 16 hours and allow for the fact that they do not pay tax as they are under the 12.5k allowance their income is half of mine for a third of the hours.

No wonder we are difficult to replace.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 12:37

News that one Trust is Norfolk is planning to do away with TAs altogether:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24280746.n ... ssistants/
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2024 01 14:19

Handyman wrote: 1st May 2024 at 12:37pm News that one Trust is Norfolk is planning to do away with TAs altogether:

“apply for the Pastoral and Learning post (PaL).”

I’m going to guess some job as a TA at a heck lot less pay.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Andrew
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 14:24

jay wrote: 1st May 2024 at 2:19pm “apply for the Pastoral and Learning post (PaL).”

I’m going to guess some job as a TA at a heck lot less pay.
Almost certainly.
Valar Morghulis
Stay Safe, Stay Daft...
Embrace The Chaos
Football Is Life.... Dani Rojas
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 14:26

Handyman wrote: 1st May 2024 at 12:37pm News that one Trust is Norfolk is planning to do away with TAs altogether:

Looks like they need to get rid of some staff so are having a restructure and just calling tas something new, but having less of them. Slightly misleading headline.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 15:20

To be fair proper TA jobs are scarce now anyway.

Most TA's are now one to one special needs assistants and changing nappies of those children whose parents can't be bothered to potty train them before school age. So actually the new title of "Pastoral and learning" is probably more accurate.

But either way you can bet the pay structure is altered in the school/ trust favour..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 17:37

steveg wrote: 1st May 2024 at 2:26pm Looks like they need to get rid of some staff so are having a restructure and just calling tas something new, but having less of them. Slightly misleading headline.
It is a bit, but still getting rid of 75 TAs to replace them with 48.5 Pals is quite a change. I have seen the difference in my own school, we have a new teacher who is struggling with multiple difficult children and needs support. Now we have lost TAs she has whole days on her own and spends most of time dealing with these children. Not sure how long she is going to last.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Chester
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 01 17:43

Looking at the original article it seems to be talking about the smaller primary schools with 100 or less pupils that can't afford permanent Site Staff, I know of one school that I've been supporting where they only have 45 pupils , the HT is 0.8 of full time hours and she does all of the compliance checks really well as well as teaching in one class and doing the normal HT tasks.

She relies mainly on willing volunteers to carry out minor maintenance tasks if she can't do them herself, this is not a case of adding layers of management on inflated salaries it's more a case of falling pupil numbers and ultimately the smaller village schools will disappear.

As a Trust Premises Manager we have initiated a scheme whereby we offer out my services when I have spare hours to smaller schools that don't have their own site staff this brings in extra revenue to the Trust and is really interesting for me seeing other schools .

I really think this is likely to be the model going forwards or more of the smaller schools closing down and not a case of the medium to large Primaries losing their Site Staff.