No choice but to quit

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2024 05 23:45

No choice but to quit

I work as a site manager and I have 2 maintenance staff working under me. One in particular has worked here for 18 months and has become a liability.
He can be lazy and his skills.are lacking somewhat.

This I can deal with, however he is also known for not doing what he is asked with tasks, refusing to stand in for cleaning assistance when we are short handed and cherry picking the jobs he wants to do.

An issue that did crop up occurred last week when he got right in my face and started kicking off about people not saying things to his face and that he wasn't going to clean as he is not an effin cleaner! This occurred after he didn't clean 3 rooms last week when we had 2 cleaners off.

I remained calm when he was being aggressive to my face and in front of some nursery staff and immediately informed my line manager.
Sadly it has been brushed off and seems he is getting away with it along with all the other things he gets away with.

I'm not happy with the way he behaved and I feel the workplace has now become uncomfortable. The lack of backbone from my manager has left me in an uncomfortable position.

I am therefore handing my notice in next week as while he remains in the job I can't work in these conditions.

Gutted in having to leave but my mental health can't take this.
AlboUnderhill
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 06 10:48

Re: No choice but to quit

Sorry to hear this, I don't really have words of wisdom but just solidarity. Hopefully they'll wake up but I'd not be comfortable working in a place that brushed you off so quickly. Good luck
Don't ask me, I have no idea what I'm doing
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 06 12:32

Before leaving have you thought about taking this issue to your board of governors? You may have approached your direct line manager but having nursery staff as witnesses, if you submitted a formal grievance against this guy it can’t be brushed aside this way.
They will have a duty to investigate and having staff witness this will go massively in your favour.
Even if you still want to hand in your notice it’s wort still doing…
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2024 06 12:53

Sorry for this mate, do as Sparky has said but also if it is affecting your mental health then you need to see a Dr, firstly for your benefit but secondly because it will then be documented as Work related stress and they are duty-bound to investigate and help you. Get your line manager and HT to have a meeting with you ( preferably with a Union rep as it will then be documented properly)and explain everything that you are feeling and how it is affecting both your health and ultimately the school. If you are in a Union get them involved quickly because they can help immensely with these things and they won't let the management get away with anything, i know it worked for me. Please remember that if you feel it is affecting your mental health then you need to see a Dr quickly, do not think you can just carry on and it will get better, it won't. I left mine too long and eventually it got the better of me but I was lucky enough to take early retirement to escape. Always remember though that your health is the most important thing. Good luck with it and look after yourself
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
May 2024 06 14:30

Sorry to hear you are going through this. In terms of advice I can only really echo Sparky and Magpie. If it is causing you stress the doctor should be able to help. Even some time off while management get to see what this guy is like might be useful.

I worked with a guy like this who management thought was wonderful for some reason. He was supposed to work 8:00-18:00 Sun - Thu but stopped turning up for work on Sundays and was gone by 17:00 the rest of the week. The Deputy Head brushed this off as a "few hours here and there" instead of the 2 months worth of working hours a year it really was. Refused to clear up sick or blood because it made him ill, claimed he had a bad back so wouldn't do any heavy lifting, flooded the toilets when he went to change a washer so didn't have to do plumbing, got more paint on the floor than on the walls so stopped doing decorating, left 50% of the rubbish when doing litter picking etc. I went through the processes and kept being told it was being dealt with
It never was at all, but at least I feel like I tried everything I reasonably could before leaving. Management seemed to think I should just keep doing his work for him and didn't think I was serious about going until I handed in my resignation.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams [Like.png]

"If at first you don't succeed then skydiving isn't for you." Steven Wright [Thumb_up.png]
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 06 21:05

Thanks for the support folks. Appreciate it.
Been mulling it over all weekend and can't come to a resolution in my head. He won't be disciplined or dismissed so I can't stay even if I want to as it would just be uncomfortable.
Sad as I have been here 9 years now and love working here but hey ho hopefully something else pops up before I go.
Officially have to give 9 weeks notice but may just hang on till the end of term in July.
I was going to take time out this week but exams start on Wednesday and want to make sure all is OK for the kids as I know he won't know what to do in setting out exam desks etc.
Seem a couple of positions near to me which I will go for, failing that I will go back as a self employed handyman.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 07:21

I've had similar. My boss liked one of my guys more than his worth. It took a lot of work to get it so I could get him gone but slowly, slowly got there. It's so nice now!!

Stick with it.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 07:49

Go Higher than your line manager but do it all in writing so there is a paper trail.
Managers will often fob you off when it is just a conversation but with a complaint in writing they cannot do this.
At the very least copy in you head and the governors as has been suggested.

Don't let one idiot push you out of a job you clearly like doing.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 08:13

Sorry to hear the issues you're having and have been in similar positions but mainly with incompetent line managers. I don't know what your financial situation is but I've only ever left jobs when I've got something else lined up, no matter how bad things are.
Good luck in getting things sorted.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
May 2024 07 09:17

You have to do what you feel is right, but I would be tempted to stick it out in the hope things may improve.
Good luck with your decision.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.