Sharp Stabbing Things...

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

MrDan
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 09:43

Sharp Stabbing Things...

We had an incident on Friday where a child managed to gain access to the mobile, where there is a kitchen, and lots of sharp objects. He then proceeded to then take a sharp object into the playground! Luckily it was dealt with swiftly and safely. But of course now the powers that be want all cupboards and draws to be lockable.

Has anyone used anything before to keep cupboards and draws locked? as i'll i can seem to find online is safety locks for toddlers..

I did think about a lockbox for all the sharp objects in the kitchen?

Thanks,

Mr Dan
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 09:59

Re: Sharp Stabbing Things...

Try cabinet locks but I would separate all the sharps and dangerous items and try to locate them into 1 or 2 drawers or lockable cabinet.
Ultimately, it is the area that should be secured not each part of that area. consider a lock that automatically locks when the door is shut along with an auto closer, or a fob lock for that door so only certain staff have access.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 10:01

You can get the locks. We were in a new build house before we moved - had a lockable "medicine" cupboard which h was just a bigger kitchen cupboard with the lock installed. A lot of expense and work involved though.

Surely it would be better for the staff to just ensure that the room/mobile in which they are stored are just locked? If they try the argument of "but they'll forget to lock it everytime", then why would they remember to lock a set of drawers/cupboard?

Alternatively your idea of a lock box is a better option than lock every drawer and cupboard.

To be fair I'd say its more a case of looking at the risk assessment and removing knives etc.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
May 2024 07 10:06

Had this years ago. HT insisted all cupboards PADLOCKED.

Room looked ridiculous with hasp and staples everywhere.

Perhaps:
https://www.diydirect.com/wardrobe-cupb ... a908202b7e
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 12:14

I agree with vera. Get a digilock or something like that on the door.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 12:30

I do get irked when an incident which comes out of the blue from one child becomes a pass the buck problem for me. We have one little darling who kicks off if he doesn’t get his way and he sets about destroying anything to hand. Then they come to me with the jobs. Perspex sheets on windows. Screwing shelving to walls and anything else he might lay hands on. Roll on retirement!
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 07 14:29

greenjack wrote: 7th May 2024 at 12:30pm I do get irked when an incident which comes out of the blue from one child becomes a pass the buck problem for me. We have one little darling who kicks off if he doesn’t get his way and he sets about destroying anything to hand. Then they come to me with the jobs. Perspex sheets on windows. Screwing shelving to walls and anything else he might lay hands on. Roll on retirement!
nature of the beast unfortunately-especially if your incharge of RA review at your place.

Id say digi locks on doors is a good remdial/ control and then look at specific cupboard locks- some simple cam locks will work and are cheap (see below)

https://www.diy.com/departments/silverl ... 428_BQ.prd
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]
stunnn
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 10 09:56

Work in SEN... All knives are kept in a metal box that is signed out of the site office / signed back in.

Cupboards have these (https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... ome-149102) installed (you can get two "flavours" - Differ 1 and Differ 2) use 1 on ALL classroom cupboards that might need locking, Use differ 2 on all Medical cupboards...
Then All staff can have a Differ 1 and medical staff have 1 & 2...

Good Luck.
MrDan
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 14 09:49

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The main door now is fitted with a PAXTON entry swipe in card system for staff only.

And i have fitted these child locks to cupboards/draws.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evilsoul-Passw ... r=8-7&th=1

Mr Dan.