Urinals blocked

Get hints and tips from other forum members, discuss equipment care, the best tools to use...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

will21
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 14 16:40

Urinals blocked

Hi in my school we have a urinal blockage. Now I have removed the rock hard urine from the waste pipes in the trap etc.. next problem the waste pipe goes under a solid floor with no access. We have tried an acid cleaner which hasn't made a difference.

I'm sure loads of you will have experience to save me digging the floor up!
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 14 22:11

Re: Urinals blocked

Was going to suggest removing the run of pipe before reading the bit about it going under the floor.....

Screwfix do this https://www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker-7-6m/186xg which attaches to your drill and is really effective, but may depend on how many bends you have (does say not recommended for bends or traps).
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 07:07

Taz wrote: 14th May 2024 at 10:11pm Was going to suggest removing the run of pipe before reading the bit about it going under the floor.....

Screwfix do this https://www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker-7-6m/186xg which attaches to your drill and is really effective, but may depend on how many bends you have (does say not recommended for bends or traps).
Our local guy uses one of these to solve exactly the problem you have. Will be fine on sweep bends, but not 90deg bends
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 08:21

We have waterless urinals that are serviced every 3 months (cold water is dropped down the urinals once a week by myself.) The guy who serviced them last week ended up using this tool to unblock a urinal that was not flowing freely. Worked a treat.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
MrMatt
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 09:07

A bendy wire unblocker and a nose peg used here as well. We made the water flushes a little bit more frequent too, which has helped reduce the build up of urine cakes in the pipes.
'Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions' - Haruki Murakami.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 09:09

That is a problem for sure and it may be cheaper to call in a company like Dyno Rod instead of having the floor dug up and pipe removed and replaced, good luck. [Thumb_up.png]

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 10:24

We get all the good problems don’t we [Wink.png]

I had a similar ongoing problem for years with the urinal in one of our toilets, luckily the toilet in question was to be refurbished. I remember the contractor dug up the floor and replaced the waste plumbing as it was not in the best condition from years of blockages.
I still remember that smell when they dug it up to this day, yuc… [Shock.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
will21
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 10:31

Thanks for all the replies, sadly a snake/wire hasn't proved effective as there is a 90degree bend and/or the blockage is rock solid, even prodded it etc nothing shifting it.
grimoopnorth
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 12:17

Oh the joy of urinals said no caretaker ever. Our little darlings like climbing on them and shouting out of the window directly above them. So far two year blocks have had to have the urinals reinstalled. Doesn't help that the original install was with what looks like thin wood screws. Looks like your only option is a drain company. When it is cleared drop a good dose of descaler down once a week that should help.
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2024 15 16:38

I was told years ago that a few 2ltr bottles of Coke tipped down the urinal clears this sort of thing. I've never tried it though so who knows......